The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Grounded - now got turbo boost/kick down woes

DSK

Went into an autocentre yesterday, fromt the road to the entrance to the autocentre, the road rises and then drops down again but doesn't look too bad at all to ones eye.

I drove in slowly and the car grounded on the setcion above, the centre section of the exhaust caught it due to a lack opf clearance.

Immediately after, I took the car for a quick drive and instantly noticed that the auto gearbox does not kickdown as it should at speeds generally below 80mph, it will probably just kickdown a couple of hundred rpm or just accelerate in the gear it is in.

The Turbo boost is also louder as the 1st turbo spools, the whoooooosh sound isn't loud but its noticeably louder than it used to be and also the car does not get the performance from it - a bit like its spinning up etc but doing nothing.

I personally think the grounded jolt has to some extent dislogded my exhaust causing this issue. I also thought perhaps a wire/sensor around the exhaust may have been dislodged but when the car was up in the air, there's no pipes/sensors around the exhaust that I could see.

AshBHp of Garage786 kindly took a 'quick look' over it, said that the exhaust system looks in tact with no leaks or blowing. He also kindly took it for a drive and said that my small turbo now feels like its not kicking in and also experienced the kickdown (which I believe is related to the turbo boost issue) for himself.

I am waiting for AshBhp to get back to me so that I can take the car down again so that he can start to work towards getting the car back to A1 condition.

I would appreciate any input from anyone who may be able to offer me and Ash some assistance in tracing any of the possible faults of the issues above.

The garage in question is a new set up and I've been told its not insured so I cannot claim for costs from their insurance but the owner stated last night just to keep them informed of how it goes and that all. This obviously is not going to be cheap and if the CATs are removed I will be going double de-cat (such things I will pay for myself) but the actual repair of the original fault is what I really cannot afford to be out of pocket for.

(I'm very worried and even considered just p/exing the car however, the fact that its a unqiue car that feels superior to many modern cars and its just a cracker is going to make me hold onto it hoping it can be repaired).

AshBhp - when you start the initial diagnosis, can I please have a boost gauge/controller fitted at the same time please?

Edited by DSK (see edit history)

The Supra mysteriously was almost OK this weekend, however I'm grateful of AshBbhp for starting diagnosis anyway. Put simply the exhaust looks to be be seated a little off than where it usually sits.

AshBbhp of Garage786 will be working further on the car on a suspicious oil leak near the start of the CAT and turbo. To get to this the rusty CAT will be removed and double-decat fitted along with new nuts and gaskets. Will be going BPU at the same time.