The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why a price difference - UK and imports

ady_supra

Hello all

Due to getting quoted cheaper for a UK Supra turbo in comparison to a non turbo import, i may consider purchasing a UK Supra.

However having a look at the prices of what UK Supras are going for in comparison to imports, i find that UK Supra's are a lot more expensive as in at least double, they also tend to have higher mileage and condition it not as good the imports.

I've seen imports go for around £3000+ where as the UK models are like £5500 +. I've checked this on a various websites including Autotrader and Pistonheads.

Why is there such a difference and is it possible to purchase a manual UK non turbo Supra.

Thanks

The quote you got was for a UK spec twin turbo, so the insurance isnt too bad. You just need to find a nice one for around £4k. If you are willing to accept 150,000miles and a slightly patch history then you can probably find one on an auto box. They will be 18 year old cars now, so 150,000miles is less than 10,000 per year, so less than average mileage.

An 18 year old import may have some unknown history behind it and could be a risk unless you can see the service history and know where the car has been.

I got my uk for about what the money you where are talking about, the car had 2 owners about 110k and full toyota service history, ok its a auto but a lot easier to get insurance as most of the companys over here wont touch a jap import. I asked a couple of insurance companys why they didnt insure imports and was told that they view imports as inferior cars and japanese mot failures. Before anyone starts to give me a hard time this is the insurance companys verdict NOT mine

You are likely to get more for your money with an import or at least a car with less miles and that is less likely to have rust but the fact remains there are no where near as many UK cars around as imports. For some people like me a UK car is the only option and the slightly higher initial outlay soon pays for itself in reduced insurance costs alone. It's also nice to have things like the heated seats and headlight washers even if you only ever use them once in a blue moon.

i dont no how much ppl pay on uk supras for insurance, but for a import 93 tt manual, its 550 quid with breakdown. its obviously group 20, age 25

If your worried about insurance costs on a supra then maybe rethink the whole thing, as the fuel costs will hit you worst unless your not gonna use it.

I wont go into the plus/minus between imports/uk models its obvious to me

For me an import is roughly 4-6 times more to insure. There are also far more companies willing to quote on a UK car than an import.

I expect the above is less relevent the older or lower risk you are.

Personally, I'd rather have a car which is already in MPH and has fog lights etc. I know converting doesnt cost much compared to other bills you get with these cars and most already have the work carried out but it is one less thing to worry about.

It is a truly great thing that lower mileage, good condition Japanese Supras are available cheaper, than UK models!:D

Agreed, otherwise this would be a very exclusive club, it's nice that a budget option is available to the masses so that they can feel special. Much like people who buy fake handbags I guess, they look the same but lack certain something.

Why are diamonds more expensive than cubic zirconia?
Agreed, otherwise this would be a very exclusive club, it's nice that a budget option is available to the masses so that they can feel special. Much like people who buy fake handbags I guess, they look the same but lack certain something.

Morning Michael.

Let me know when you need a break, I can take over the trolling for a while.

:D

And think what the value would be like of our limited edition uk models if there were no imports to be had ?

Morning Michael.

Let me know when you need a break, I can take over the trolling for a while.

Lol, Michaels Supra isnt just any old Supra, his is an M&S Supra ;)

i dont no how much ppl pay on uk supras for insurance, but for a import 93 tt manual, its 550 quid with breakdown. its obviously group 20, age 25

If your worried about insurance costs on a supra then maybe rethink the whole thing, as the fuel costs will hit you worst unless your not gonna use it.

I wont go into the plus/minus between imports/uk models its obvious to me

:thumbs: