The mkiv Supra Owners Club

power steering off when driving

trinitom

Even on roundabouts at low speed?

Do you have massive arms or something?

Just get used to it, power steering is the future.

Depends on what speed you are driving, if you go on roundabouts at 5 mlh it could be dificult.

Did you ever drive a none pw steering car?

It's a speed sensitive rack. Just pull the plug off the top of the rack near the column. That leaves it in fast (light assist) mode.

Also worth checking what speed signal the ECM is receiving. If it's receiving a 5/8ths signal (mph) then it over assists. Mine felt much better when I sorted this.

It's a speed sensitive rack. Just pull the plug off the top of the rack near the column. That leaves it in fast (light assist) mode.

Also worth checking what speed signal the ECM is receiving. If it's receiving a 5/8ths signal (mph) then it over assists. Mine felt much better when I sorted this.

don't know about that, but since i have fitted the mph converter seems less lighter than before.

so pulling out that plug will live it like no pw steering?

In the early days of speed converters this used to come up a lot. The steering is speed sensitive and so can become over light if the speed conversion is done wrong. Try unplugging the speedo converter and see if that helps the steering much.

i think the speed converter is well installed, it works as it should!

but for me is to light compared to other cars, thanks anyway people.

i think the speed converter is well installed, it works as it should!

but for me is to light compared to other cars, thanks anyway people.

unplug it and try the steering again. The converter may be well installed but could be feeding the power steering the wrong speed figure.

Got to be worth a try.

When my engine died and i was towed home about 10 miles with no assisted steering, I didnt find it too bad. I understand where your coming from, I find the steering too light above 50. I think you would regret binning the power steering althgether though unless your supra is a weekend/track car.

don't know about that, but since i have fitted the mph converter seems less lighter than before.

so pulling out that plug will live it like no pw steering?

Errr no thats not what I wrote. It leaves the ps in its default mode which is lightly assisted as if the car is being driven at motorway speed. Without ps I think you would struggle to drive the Supra safely.

I personally think you should just get used to it as the speed sensitive rack isn't that bad. I've driven mine in the default mode above and it feels OK until you need to throw a quick arm of opposite lock on and then you're going to struggle.

• 1 month later...
How do you get any sort of negatve camber on the front with that level of caster though?

It's a wind up ;)

Sorry to bump this thread, I'm guessing the answer was gotten. I'm having the exact opposite problem. Since some work has been done on my car my steering has became very heavy. The mechanic suggested that he possibly left the electrical connection (speed sensor) for the pump unconnected. Is it easy enough to get to without removing anything? Got my car in work today and even though its too dark just now I fancy getting it plugged in before heading home, if I can.

Cheers

Yeah, where is that speed sensor plugged in? I would very much like to try it on light assist. Anybody got a pic?

How do I check for this? My car is a j-spec, but running in DK so no mph/km fiddleings done. But my active spoiler comes down at aprox 90mph and goes up again at rougly 75mph, and I think this might be related to a more or less homemade SLD I got installed at some point.

Yep its relatively easy. You should be able to see the plug next to where the steering column meets the rack. Access from the top.

I'm not sure if there is a connection to the pump, I've only got experience with the connection to the rack.

Would that be drivers side in behind the tubby's then? Are you sure it can be accessed from there without removing anything?

Thanks