The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Taking single off.

Pig

Is there an instruction thread out there for taking the single off?

I am doing well, 3 out of the 4 bolts are off the turbo but im not sure how to get to the 4th. Do i need to split the turbo?

The downpipe and exhaust are off which went well, am really enjoying doing some bits and bobs myself.

Jon

You should be able to get to the 4th one (assuming it's the front one, engine side) if you take the compressor cover off. If not, then you'll need to get some better tools or take the cartridge out.

And agreed, it's very satisfying to DIY :)

Cool, that was the next step but I thought i would check.

Im really pissed off though as i cant find my 14mm spanner. Which one of you has been in my garage????

Be very careful you don't knock or bend the exposed compressor wheel when (if) you take the cover off. It's easily damaged. "K" nuts have a smaller hex size for a given thread size than a normal full nut, are very high quality, available in high temperature variants, and may make it easier next time. I'll probably have whatever size they are in stock, although I tend to use more Imperial than Metric as race cars are still mainly Imperial.

Can be a problem, manifold designs can be dire, with no thought as to how to get a socket on the nuts. If you round one off..... :( Again, consider K nuts when you re assemble. You may only be able to get an open ended spanner on some of the manifold to head nuts, if that's the case for God's sake use a GOOD unworn spanner, (Snap on, Facom, Stahlwille, maybe Britool, not Taiwanese plastic spanner....), and if it feels like it may round the nut off stop and re assess. You can end up pulling the engine and taking a miniature die grinder with a cut off wheel in an arbour to the nuts when things like this go awry.

eat some spinach;)

:p

Can be a problem, manifold designs can be dire, with no thought as to how to get a socket on the nuts. If you round one off..... :( Again, consider K nuts when you re assemble. You may only be able to get an open ended spanner on some of the manifold to head nuts, if that's the case for God's sake use a GOOD unworn spanner, (Snap on, Facom, Stahlwille, maybe Britool, not Taiwanese plastic spanner....), and if it feels like it may round the nut off stop and re assess. You can end up pulling the engine and taking a miniature die grinder with a cut off wheel in an arbour to the nuts when things like this go awry.

I couldnt find my 14mm halfords professional so was using a chocolate spanner. Glad i asked for advise!

step one, new spanner to complete my old collection.

http://www.tong-yan.com/En/manage123/jksm_upfile/200887100140.jpg

Odd things, how do they work?

Will these do the trick?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Crows-Foot-Spanner-Set-10pc-Metric-AK598-Sealey_W0QQitemZ300339219985QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Hand_Tools_Equipment?hash=item45ed9cce11

I couldnt see better quality metric ones.

Edited by Pig (see edit history)

They aren't K nuts, they are some weird self locking nut. Here's a K nut:

Thats what i had on. Maybe thats why i found it reasonably easy. (apart from the last one)

Just managed it tonight thanks to the crow foot spanners (thanks for the advise) It was VERY close to rounding off, one corner was completly gone.

Manifold now off, wastegate separated so almost there.

Then the tuff part, ignoring the car whilst i do the 2cv..... want to do the supra now :(