The mkiv Supra Owners Club

People... CHECK YOUR BRAKE LINES!!!

Kirk

I had a near miss today when my brakes suddenly stopped working... luckily i wasnt doing motorway speeds but ive pretty much killed the clutch and handbrake to slow the car. This was on my N reg polo which i use day to day. Its the same age as most supras!

this is what i found

as you can see the ends of the lines were completely rotten and gave up without warning.

i cant stress to you enough about checking and replacing any badly rotton lines on your car!!

i know what your saying and i was wondering bout that myself. They must of been borderline last MOT, as i said i had no advisory about them and the guy i use is a good mate

Have a word with your good mate then and ask him why he didn't check them/report them...

yeah i suppose your right, but this aint about my mate, this about mine, yours and everyones safety. Some MOT stations can simply overlook this sort of problem or totaly miss it.

In the amount of time it takes to look yourself you can save yourself from ever having this experience

Edited by Kirk (see edit history)

yeah i suppose your right, but this aint about my mate, this about mine, yours and everyones safety. Some MOT stations can simply overlook this sort of problem or totaly miss it.

In the amount of time it takes to look yourself you can save yourself from every having this experience

That's true.

I'll get you to check mine :)

In the amount of time it takes to look yourself you can save yourself from every having this experience

Yip, very true, gonna check mine next time I'm down there :)

Thats what happens when you get friends to do your MOT for you. They trust you and your car so half arse the job.

Lucky escape there bud, thanks for the warning but my brake lines will never look like that. Of that I can be safe, a bleed every year makes certain of that.

Had any work done on the cars since the last MOT? looks distinctly like they have been mullered/twisted by a ham fisted mechanic to me.

i do all mechanical work myself on my car!

havnt touched the brake lines at all since owning the car, this is the 1st time today when i removed the busted lines and fitted new

yeah i suppose your right scott. Will be having a good word with him tomorrow when i see him anyway!

i do all mechanical work myself on my car!

havnt touched the brake lines at all since owning the car, this is the 1st time today when i removed the busted lines and fitted new

yeah i suppose your right scott. Will be having a good word with him tomorrow when i see him anyway!

Sorry wasn't casting aspersions on you, it just looks from the pics that the damage is very localised, and it is common to see that sort of damage when the callipers have been removed and the pipes are corroded and don't turn within the gland nuts.

non taken mate. i realy need to stop over using exclamation marks :D

basicly on the rear axle of polos there a little distribution box where the lines join to and then split to either side. The gland nuts were still in the box, the lines had acuatly rotted off from there

nice to see someones paying attention

i know you posted yours up... i havnt overlooked it, im not trying to steal your thunder, im sharing my concerns after having it happen to me today :)

Edited by Kirk (see edit history)