The mkiv Supra Owners Club

barry boys supras on site

mrboost

I scanned thro' it. Aint one of those jokers got a Trans-am?

They were cool in the 80's (old Berty Reynolds tearin' around ), but you gotta be some sort of a tw@t if you think it's better lookin' than the Soops. That car is a classic of its time, like the A-Team , Fool!

:cool:

Originally posted by Rob

Yes, that's what it means. They're all from Barry and they take pictures of modded motors that enter their town.

Not to be confused with Bury Boys or Barrow Boys.

Or 'Batty Boys'

:D

I like Barry, I used to have some mates there, still do I think just haven't seen them for a couple of years.

You did get a roasting Mandy, (as did I for my ricey mods) but they do start name calling with any female. They mostly deal with absolute chavs so they tend to tar all with the same brush.

The constant abuse can be pretty wearing, but the site is worth it for the absolute bull that some of these 17 year old modders start spewing. It's all "My GSI Nova was RR'd at 650 rwhp" and so forth.

Originally posted by Rob

You did get a roasting Mandy, (as did I for my ricey mods) but they do start name calling with any female. They mostly deal with absolute chavs so they tend to tar all with the same brush.

The constant abuse can be pretty wearing, but the site is worth it for the absolute bull that some of these 17 year old modders start spewing. It's all "My GSI Nova was RR'd at 650 rwhp" and so forth.

But the smugness of the whole thing is kind of tragic: a bunch of guys slapping each other's backs because they got the better of some kid who can scarcely write.

I just don't get their site, for two reasons:

1) Most BBSs are built around a shared positive interest - an interst in something that is liked e.g. supras, gardening, mole-teasing etc. Theirs is built on a shared loathing for another group of people - what is there to celebrate in that? I know that on here, chavs are heartily scoffed at - but it's not the entire reason that the site exists. I just can't see how they can get that much mileage out of 'aren't chavs stupid/tasteless/etc ?' I would have thought that a community built only around a single joke has limited appeal - but apparently not.

2) There's a hypocrisy that runs right to the core of what they do. They hate the chav's for their 'tastelessness', stupidity and hostility. But they are every bit as hostile themselves. The only difference is that most of them spell a little better. Dress them in the same clothes, though, and the attitudes would be indistinguishable. Both groups viciously ridicule anything that doesn't fit in with their narrow conception of how things ought to be done.

It's a lot of fun to take a pop at someone that's not in your 'in-group' - but to devote a whole website to it? Jeez.

Cliff

P.S. Corking signature, Rob.

Originally posted by CJ

Mole - teasing? :conf: Cliff, you have to enlighten us here!:D

It's a Wiltshire thing, furtively practised on moonless nights by small groups of cackling yokels. The details are shrouded in mystery, but I know that the process involves a bag of live moles, a trifle and a bicycle pump.