The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Unusual Problem

Lee_e

Hey Guys

I have a rather unusual intermittent cooling issues,

It only started doing it today and i have no idea what it could be that's causing it.

i was driving in and around town no heavy accelerating just nice and calm etc and when i parked up i saw my gauge was up to 1 notch off red , now iv never had that problem before so i thought it might just be normal.

however when driving home very slowly trying not to accelerate hard it was fine, untill i started accelerating hardly i literally saw the needle going up to just under the red i then immediately let off the gas and the needle dropped back down to halfway.

i drove very slowly home and when parking up and putting it in park i saw the needle shoot up to just under red again. ?!?!?! It stayed at red untill i lightly reved the engine to see what would happen and whilst revving it started to come down to halfway then stayed put when i stopped revving. ??

i have a TT jspec 97 facelift Auto with FMIC and standard radiator

i will check in a minute to see if i have low coolant or any pipes leaking but i cant understand why it would almost overheat just staying still ??

any help would be great. oh and sorry about essay, i had to describe it the best i could :)

If it has overheated you will have lost coolant and it'll need topping up.

First thing I'd do would be to fit a new radiator cap and see if that cures the problem, if your rad cap is leaking the system will loose pressure and the fluid will boil at a lower temp.

Right ok just checked the cap and levels and topped it up with collant as it was pretty low [sHOCK][/sHOCK], so i will see if that solves the problem.

If not i will get a new cap and thermostat then go from there.

cheers nic and co. saved me a few hours of huffing and puffing at nothing.:)