The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why did the face lift models change to analog?

a98pmalcolm

Well just as the title says really.

When i was buying my supra from Jugan i asked him to make sure it was all digi clock and millage as i thought it looked alot neater and modern.

Why did the facelift models change to an anolog clock and anolog millage? Not that its a bad thing just curious...

Thanks

Paul

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a massive uproar in the Japanese motor industry in '96 as clocking was getting far too expensive, so they changed to load to analogue(particularly Nissan) to bring that cost down and made it easy enough for people to do it from home.

Ahh ok i see. But "made it easy enough for people to do it from home." made what easy? sorry....

Ahh ok i see. But "made it easy enough for people to do it from home." made what easy? sorry....

only have a few screws to remove and you can rewind it by hand, the 'digital clock managers' or anyone who had the clocking device also known in Japan as a "windee backee clockee" were charging in excess of 100,000 yen for the service

Also, why did they change over to non turbo engine mounts, dodgy seat belts that dont retract, dodgy door armrests that always come away, I'm sure there was something else they buggered up on facelift cars!

rear boot mechanism/lever often doesn't open the rear hatch properly?

Cheap dipsticks :D

Also, why did they change over to non turbo engine mounts, dodgy seat belts that dont retract, dodgy door armrests that always come away, I'm sure there was something else they buggered up on facelift cars!

Pheonix used to tell me that the facelift cars use a poorer / thinner metal too (bodywork)....... :search:

Perhaps Toyota realised that the pre-face was over-engineered and wanted to optimise / lean out the supra in order to add to their profits.

so the wise choice is always to go for a pre facelift for the better built car all round....

with the age of the cars regardless of pre or post facelift, I would always advise a buyer to go for the best looked after one that they can afford.

with the age of the cars regardless of pre or post facelift, I would always advise a buyer to go for the best looked after one that they can afford.

indeed, I like the look of the facelift and whilst there does seem to have been an element of cost cutting its cost cutting Toyota style so they didn't really seem to cut costs on any of the important mechanical/electrical items.

The early cars aren't without issue the Oil pressure sensor was revised I believe (er struggling beyond that though :D)