The mkiv Supra Owners Club

exhaust heat wrap help

Stephen G

I have to get some wrap for the turbo kit i have and i came across this stuff.

Has anyone on here tried this brand of wrap?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COOL-IT-by-Thermotec-Exhaust-heat-protective-wrap_W0QQitemZ310104300727QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item4833a81cb7

Its not cheap compared to the other wrap that is for sale or is it just over priced?

How much would you need to wrap a manifold and two downpipes?

I've just bought some of the Thermo-Tec wrap (50' x 2"), not sure if it's any better but it's heat rating is higher than the other stuff so I took a chance it would be better

I use the thermo-tec stuff, and it does what it says it does on the packet....just watch the fibres, they get damn itchy :p

I bought 50' x 1" last time and didn't have enough to wrap my manifold (I have some left over from before so it wasn't a problem). The 1" is better at wrapping the tight bends on the runners, the 2" is better for wrapping long lengths (downpipe for example)

Couldn't have said it better myself. I was about a foot short, but used a little 2".

Here's the 1":-1" by 50'.

Here's the 2":-2" by 50'.

My advice would be to use gloves, and to use plastic ties to hold the wrap inplace, then use the metal ties after. It's also advisable to use plastic ties as you wrap, as the wrap starts to undo itself after a while. It's hard to get tight. Just make sure you remove all the plastic ties once you've finished ;)

It's also advisable to use plastic ties as you wrap, as the wrap starts to undo itself after a while. It's hard to get tight. Just make sure you remove all the plastic ties once you've finished ;)

Good advice, exactly the same way I did it, just makes getting it on a lot easier...

If you have a mask I'd wear that as well. Pulling through 10'-20' of wrap gets the fibres everywhere, and as Gav said earlier, they really itch. I used a screwdriver and pliers to get the metal ties as tight as possible.

Here's the tools I used and a few progress pictures, hopefully someone might find them useful (the tape is the seal the gloves):

If you put it on with the wrap damp it help stop the fibre problem and when it dries it slightly shrinks so adds to the tightness of the wrap.

Looks good. I never took any photos of mine.

I see you wrapped over the boss for a sensor, I take it you will then cut a hole in the wrap?

I just weaved around it as mine had bolt holes as part of the boss and it was easier.

If you put it on with the wrap damp it help stop the fibre problem and when it dries it slightly shrinks so adds to the tightness of the wrap.

Looks good. I never took any photos of mine.

I see you wrapped over the boss for a sensor, I take it you will then cut a hole in the wrap?

I just weaved around it as mine had bolt holes as part of the boss and it was easier.

There's pros and cons to wetting the wrap first IIRC.

The boss isn't used as the AEM sensor is in the second de-cat.