The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Some opinion regarding TT Auto

jonathanc

Right, toying with some ideas now so I hope to get some input from the people here that have more experience of Supras then me ;)

I really like the N/A Auto at the moment, its a very nice cruiser but I did notice something lacking about the acceleration. I normally drive around the city and some A roads/twisties so acceleration/pickup is pretty important to me.

I know the best option is to get a 6 Speed TT but those are either very rare or very expensive. So I am just *thinking* of getting a TT Auto. However, I am not sure how that handles. I know I will get better acceleration but with a 3 speed Auto box (4 with OD) I wonder how easy is it to control the car?

Will I have sudden kickdown and loose control of the car easily? My old car was an MR2 turbo and its pretty scary around roundabouts and sharp corners even it being a manual.

I will drive the car year round so I am hoping that it won't be too hard to handle in the winter. I am not a hardcore track going guy or boy racer but I like a little power/oomph from my car too. I would say I am a competant driver but I'm no Stig ofc ;)

So, in short, is a Supra TT Auto a good option if its going to be mostly a daily driver year round? Or should I just get a Vertex Aristo TT? :p

Thanks.

I never had any issues with kickdown (unlike some). Take some time getting used to it and it'll reward you with a great drive. Keep it in manual and it won't kickdown.

It's not a city or twisties car though but it'll eat up an A road.

I tried the manual mode on my NA as well but the gear change is not as fast as I would hope it too be so I just leave it in Auto :p

My Sup does nicely in the city very stylish and comfortable just the acceleration bit is a slight letdown. I would have to rev it till VVTi kicks in for the power and by then I usually run out of road :D

Just thinking how much of a diff a TT Auto would make. I'm not after high hp just something with a little zest to it so I'm wondering if it's worth thinking about a TT for my case or just go with the NA.

Depending on your budget I'd suggest trying a tiptronic TT...cheaper than a six speed TT when compared by like-for-like year and mileage, and great fun in manual mode.

Big difference in performance between N/As and TTs, and kick-down is more of an event. However, as Red-M hints, you have to be pretty aggressive with your right foot to get an auto to kick-down anyway...I've never had a kick-down by accident in nine years...dont be scared of an auto TT, you will get used to it quickly...normal autos are great cars, but tiptronics are far better IMO.

Edited by Ewen (see edit history)

Depending on your budget I'd suggest trying a tiptronic TT...cheaper than a six speed TT when compared by like-for-like year and mileage, and great fun in manual mode.

Big difference in performance between N/As and TTs, and kick-down is more of an event. However, as Red-M hints, you have to be pretty aggressive with your right foot to get an auto to kick-down anyway...I've never had a kick-down by accident in nine years...dont be scared of an auto TT, you will get used to it quickly...normal autos are great cars, but tiptronics are far better IMO.

Thanks for the advice mate ;) I didn't know there are tiptronic Supras lol :blush: Will do some Googling about it. Don't really see any in the Classifieds section here of late. Mostly NAs for sale.

Not sure about the budget yet. Depends on how much I get for my current ride etc. My mate has a R34 GTT auto rapid car but I still like the looks of a Sup.

The autobox mode of operation is a bit more sophisticated on the TT than the N/A. As a result it suits the car really well and is more adept at being a relaxed cruiser or you can really tramp on in it. In real world driving an Auto will always get the jump on a manual if you know how to get the best from it.

I wonder why they didn't include more gears for the TT though. Don't you get smoother/better gearchange? I know there's a Manual mode but it just doesn't feel natural. Sometimes I accidently change from L to D instead of 2. I think the tiptronic should be a cracker though :D

I wonder why they didn't include more gears for the TT though. Don't you get smoother/better gearchange? I know there's a Manual mode but it just doesn't feel natural. Sometimes I accidently change from L to D instead of 2. I think the tiptronic should be a cracker though :D

I always thought that the tt auto had another gear, 4 plus overdrive, and the n/a was 3 plus overdrive. imbw

imo the supra is only 3+OD because if it was 4. or 5 it would be changing gear all the sodding time. Some of the new merc or bmw or audi autos are 7 speeds. It just makes me think its wont be able to decide whats the best gear to be in and it will kick down all the time.

The auto is great. I love mine.

I really have to disagree with the comments about the TT auto being great in traffic.

Obviously an auto (any auto) is easy to drive in traffic but when you need that instant quick squirt to get into a gap, pass something etc etc it just isn't there.

Push pedal, wait for box to kickdown, wait for turbos to spool up, enjoy car squating on it's haunches, launch forward, slam on brakes. It was never instant enough for me.

Still miss it every day though.

I really have to disagree with the comments about the TT auto being great in traffic.

Obviously an auto (any auto) is easy to drive in traffic but when you need that instant quick squirt to get into a gap, pass something etc etc it just isn't there.

Push pedal, wait for box to kickdown, wait for turbos to spool up, enjoy car squating on it's haunches, launch forward, slam on brakes. It was never instant enough for me.

Still miss it every day though.

By trafic i think he means rushour stop start traffic.

If you want to overtake traffic. Thats what the manual mode is good for. Then it does what you want.

By trafic i think he means rushour stop start traffic.

If you want to overtake traffic. Thats what the manual mode is good for. Then it does what you want.

I thought it was. I was just putting an opinion over. I still miss that sudden burst of power that sometimes threatened to launch you into the back of the car you were wanting to overtake.:D

I originally had an NA auto before doing the NA-TT conversion. The conversion included the TT autobox, proshaft etc. I think that the TT autobox provides a better driving experiance than the NA autobox. I couldn't say why TBH but it does "feel" better. This could just be because of the TT conversion, I don't know. I doubt you'd be disapointed though coming from an NA auto.

I dont find a problem when in traffic really, stop start or when over taking. I also have had no unwanted kickdowns etc and the car has behaved perfectly. In the dry it can take abuse and in the wet, well, I just take it easy so I get no problems. I'm BPU, boosting at 1.2 bar. I dont have an LSD and dont feel as if I need one usually but TBH I am thinking about it.

Edited by hoff (see edit history)

I originally had an NA auto before doing the NA-TT conversion. The conversion included the TT autobox, proshaft etc. I think that the TT autobox provides a better driving experiance than the NA autobox. I couldn't say why TBH but it does "feel" better.

I thought that the N/A and the TT auto box was the same :blink: What's the difference Adam?

Having owned both Auto TT and 6sp TT here is my 2p worth.

I miss the ease of driving and the total relaxed feeling you get driving the Auto, it is also great for not making you look like a plonker :D

BUT.....you just cant beat the 6sp TT for out and out driving experience, when you get used to it it just feels so easy.

The NA auto is also only half the car the TT Auto is as it lacks the power to get the most out of the auto box, far too many flatspots and you could just never get it in the right gear at the right time.

:hide:

Having owned both Auto TT and 6sp TT here is my 2p worth.

I miss the ease of driving and the total relaxed feeling you get driving the Auto, it is also great for not making you look like a plonker :D

BUT.....you just cant beat the 6sp TT for out and out driving experience, when you get used to it it just feels so easy.

The NA auto is also only half the car the TT Auto is as it lacks the power to get the most out of the auto box, far too many flatspots and you could just never get it in the right gear at the right time.

:hide:

I concur......

Also having owned both, this man speaks the truth.

Bottom line - to live with everyday, the auto is a winner. For sheer driving experience though, the 6sp pwns :)

Meh, so tempted to get a TT Auto now... I don't need extreme sharp driving experience just want a nice cruiser with some poke in it.

You are right about the NA having some flatspot. Sometimes I have to force a kickdown just to get more torque. Normal driving its ok though but maybe because I came from a MR2 turbo I'm being so fussy :p Would've thought the 3.0l VVTi will have more poke.

Anyone fancy a mint 98 Sup? :D

I too came from an Mr2 Turbo to an Na Auto supra, dont get me wrong the NA is a fast car and with a manual gearbox is a good all round package but with the autobox it just doesnt work.

The flatspot between 1st and 2nd seemed to last forever, too fast for 1st but far too slow for 2nd:(