The mkiv Supra Owners Club

steering colum loose

mrgee2jz

Hi everybody,

General question.

In my new supra the colum has a noticeble amount of play with the steeing locked into place with the adjuster.

Can anybody shed any light on this for me please?

Any possible fix's?

Is the steering wheel stock or an aftermarket one? I had the same problem well kind of turned out the boss kit for the new steering wheel wasnt the correct size even when it was tightened to the last there was still play in the wheel. If its the column itself you would need to take all the dash panels off to see if sll the mounting bolts are in place properly.

Is the play in the up and down movement?

I had this with mine, turns out the bolts that hold the column dont squeeze on to it keep it tight they hit stoppers and pass through plastic bushes,which wear. This is to allow the steering column to buckle should you hit it in an accident but means there is play.

My solution was to wrap the plastic bush with one wrap of insulation tape, just enough to stop the play but not to prevent it doing its job.

Its not the wheel. its the column. it has play up and down. i have a spare car that i can borrow bits off but is it an easy job?

From what i can remember it was straight forward. You'll see what i mean about the play when you take the trims off from around the column.

• 2 weeks later...
if its up and down, it should the the mounting bolts for the colomn. look underneath it (take the plastic cover off and the air vent scoop)

should be 4 14mm or 17mm bolts that hold it up...may need to be tightened up?

Good question. Just got back from work, ill have a little look later on.