The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wise moves?

Tee from China

As some people are removing their ABS I have to ask 'is this a wise move on a road going car?'

For a pure track car where all un-nessasary weight slows you down and adds to your times - yes take out anything not needed such as seats, trim etc - but ABS is a lifesaver so is it not a bad thing to delete such things?

Pure race cars are never driven on the road and get trailered to and from the track whereas track day cars are still driven on the public highways.

How would someone fair in an isurance claim after an accident where the ABS would have prevented a collision?

How would insurers look at a claim when a standard safety feature had been removed?

Insurance companies will always look for ways to not pay out or reduce payments to claimants!

I can understand people removing (or better, replacing) the standard traction control system, but removing ABS altogether. Still, each to their own...

All IMO and guesswork:

I don't think insurance companies would be able to use ABS removal against someone in the event of a crash on safety grounds. It's too woolly an issue for them: not all cars have it or are required to have it. They'd have to show that for that particular accident, ABS would have stood a good chance of preventing it.

They could, however, get the driver on "undeclared mods" and deem the insurance to be void, maybe?

The golden rule here is surely to tell the insurer if the ABS has been removed.

i personally wouldnt remove it on a road car. i am actually installing it on 2 of my cars. And if they do dig hard that could be a point with the insurance. although if you make it completly non-abs it would be hard to tell the car came with it in the first place.

I would just use a switch to turn on and off.