The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rolling arches ....

Jamesy

Hi guys

since fitting my spacers i very occassionaly get rubbing on the rear arches.

Was tempted to use archenemy to roll the lip however im concerned when they roll the lip the paint might crack along the bottom part of the arch where its stretched the paint?

Anyone got any experience in this?

i had mine rolled with archenemy, not a problem 100% ok, however, there is always a chance that the paint might crack whoever does the rolling

Its all down to the quality of the paint, and if its been recently/ever repaired in that area.

i put a heat gun on the paint and got it noce and warm before i rolled back the lip and ther wer no probs

this is what arch enemy do, they are pros

In answer to your other question, if the paint cracks yes it probably would involve rolling them anyway then get the damage repaired

No point repairing the damage then trying to roll them again because that wont work.

mate, get them shaved instead. Thats what i did on my previous car when i had the Weds fitted. Quite a bit can be removed from the rear arch with shaving and you therefore run no risk of cracking the paint :) Just make sure a certain amount is left so as not to remove the spot welds

think i paid about £50 to have the rears done. I couldnt go round corners at even 20 mph without them rubbing, and they were absolutely fine after even with a passenger in the back

Edited by Stonkin (see edit history)

I had mine rolled with archenemy. No cracking and I'm generally happy with it, but if you look carefully you get the old 50p coin effect where the welds are... ever so slight angles..... No one normally notices it but I took it to GVN to have the bumper and bonnet fitted and Gerald took one look and said. "You should have had them cut".. trained eyes I guess.

Cheers mark.

I just got home from garage and while there asked if they would cut the lip but he said it was a bad idea as would rust.

Id rather just cut the lip but unsure how the 'right' way is to get it done??

Basically, there are 2 skins that meet in the arch. When you cut them, the 2 skins can now get moisture etc in between them, which eventually will cause rust. A good body shop will cut them back, and then either weld them shut or seal them somehow and coat with antirust.

If it was me, I'd get it cut properly and pay more, or if no one will touch them, then roll them. Rolling is better than rust.

isnt that only a problem though Mark if to much is cut and any of the welds around it get cut to. mine werent welded along the edge after but they were sealed by them afterwards. Had the car for at least another year after and never had any rust issues

They're kind of tack welded evey 4 inches all around the edge which is why you get the 50p effect. If they're properly sealed then it shouldn't be a problem in the short term. I guess all cars eventually rust anyway. You probably had a good job done on yours :thumbs:

Archenemy can shave them back as well. They will usually give you the choice.

They rolled my arches and it left them wavy and the paint cracked. He warned me it would happen but I said do it anyway. Wish I had them shaved back now.

You can never be sure how the arch will react. The guy that did mine owns the Archenemy company and franchises out to all the others, so he knew what he was doing.

Archenemy can shave them back as well. They will usually give you the choice.

They rolled my arches and it left them wavy and the paint cracked. He warned me it would happen but I said do it anyway. Wish I had them shaved back now.

You can never be sure how the arch will react. The guy that did mine owns the Archenemy company and franchises out to all the others, so he knew what he was doing.

Ah mate the exact same thing happened to me mate

when i had my r33 done i asked for them to be rolled and flared - he said up to me but the thought of flared arches took over.

Anyway an hour later amd all 4 of my arches are properly f**ked :( the paint flaked and cracked and the arches were really wavy.

So bad i ended up having to buy a full set of 400r flared arches!!!!!

Hi guys

since fitting my spacers i very occassionaly get rubbing on the rear arches.

Was tempted to use archenemy to roll the lip however im concerned when they roll the lip the paint might crack along the bottom part of the arch where its stretched the paint?

Anyone got any experience in this?

i used archenemy with out any problem they tolld me toyotas are the best cars to work on with out so many problems :p

• 2 weeks later...
met with Baldy yesterday and we decided rolling them slightly was the better option...

..now to find a roller to borrow for an hour!!

:)

Get Archenemy to do them... It's worth it.

If you do it yourself, get a roller that bolts to the hub and use a heat gun.