The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Can we fit ABS to non abs supra?

mrgee2jz

Or more importantly what do i need to swap over to add ABS?

Hi everybody. i thought id ask the question before throwing myself into something that seems simple but isnt....

I have 2 supra's

1 has abs (breaking anyway), the other doesnt (keeping)

has anybody attempted this?

1. do the hubs come pre-drilled for the sensor and with the toothed hub? so just add sensors (eg remove a cap or plug)? or do i need to swap all the hubs over?

2. is the cars loom or part of the loom pre-wired for abs?

3. what differences are the also to add traction control?

4. Do i need to entirely strip both cars and swap the entire loom over!?>.........

I will do it whatever it takes. but its nice to know what im getting myself into first

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Guest argy911

When I had my supra I wanted to remove the abs .

At high speeds (170mph ) the brakes wouldn't work and at low speed it would kick in and the car kept going an extra few meters.

But this was with brembros front and back.

I wouldnt mind knowing the results if you do decide to go down this route!

Does anybody know if the abs wiring is already built into the car looms, and is it just a case of buying pipes, hubs, sensors, pump etc?

I'll keep you posted.

this is one of those things im just going to have to get my head stuck into.

Don't worry about the diff bush. The NA only came with one, TT's came with both. The fitting should be there for both to be bolted up.

Rear brake lines should be the same on all cars, ABS or not. Edit - Just checked EPC, they are not the same, non-abs has one line, abs has two.

Need any part diag's for this?

OK, just had a quick loooke

And im screeewiing!!! I should have known.

This sup only has one brake line.

That means i need to add another line to the ABS project sup. or maybe replace the original one aswell.

DAMMIT!

Note to self....

Check brake lines first

Don't worry about the diff bush. The NA only came with one, TT's came with both. The fitting should be there for both to be bolted up.

Rear brake lines should be the same on all cars, ABS or not. Edit - Just checked EPC, they are not the same, non-abs has one line, abs has two.

Need any part diag's for this?

Yep. i assumed they were all the same too. Thanks for the offer but i have a complete car with abs so i can check everything on that and remove the lines from it also.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, i can finally answer my own questions. and i can say its not good.

In order to install ABS apart from the obvious parts (hubs, pump, lines) you must Swap over the majority of the cars wiring loom. including all the wires behind the dash that sit behind the heater! including all fuse boxes.

If you have an alarm then you gotta swap that over to the new loom

Basically A LOT OF WORK!

Maybe a summer job:|

• 3 weeks later...

OK, a slight update. front abs hubs now installed along with big brakes and disks.

I have removed the entire loom from the doner car.

Maybe when it warms up in the summer ill install the rest into the new car and ill almost certainly install a new heater matrix whist im there....

was even toying with the idea of going 4wd if i can get all the componets together....

that will mean junking the front hubs/subframe.....

and making something else fit, and if i were to do that i would almost certainly be keeping the 2jz-gte, installing the spare rods and pistons i have laying around, and running a large custom anti-lag twin turbo setup and approx 1000hp output.

hmmmmm.........

• 9 months later...

OK, i know its been a long time, but i've now finally made the time to finish this project.

I can confirm that the main loom IS different, the NA non abs has non of the wires required.

The car was completely stripped out yesterday.

The new ABS TT loom on the left, the old Non ABS loom to the right

Today the new loom was installed including the transfer of the alarm system and ABS pump, master cylinder, and front lines. Next week, i will be changing over the rear brake lines, (not looking forward to it).

NON ABS only has 1 rear brake line that splits, ABS has 2 seperate lines.

By the end of next week the car should hopefuly be complete.

Edited by mrgee2jz (see edit history)