The mkiv Supra Owners Club

LSD Replacement

edinlexusV8

I have a Torsen LSD centre from a 1997 Supra MK4 RZ TT 6 Speed Manual Transmission. It is an 8" crown wheel (dont know what this is exactly). I am planning to replace my open diff with this one.

I would like to know what other bits are required to do this? I could not find any tutorial with images about the steps to do this replacement using the search button. If any of you guys have undertaken this before please could you throw in some pics and info about your work.

Thanks

Edited by edinlexusV8 (see edit history)

The first "B" in the code means that it's the big diff (220mm crown wheel).

The "A" diff is the one which is the same size as the Soarer (200mm crown wheel).

3.267:1 is also a much higher ratio than the standard Soarer diffs (3.769:1 V8 or 4.083:1 TT). If a V8 Soarer diff is changed, it's usually changed to the lower TT ratio.

http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm

e1jAV

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

As it is from an 1997 MK4, some of the people on various forums are suggesting that it is a B series.
Didn't the later manual TTs have the small diff with the high ratio? Don't know how late though.

EDIT:

According to the NZ site, the manual TT had the 3.267:1 small diff from April 1996.

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

Didn't the later manual TTs have the small diff with the high ratio? Don't know how late though.

EDIT:

According to the NZ site, the manual TT had the 3.267:1 small diff from April 1996.

Gareth, you are right mate. Thanks for the info and the links. From the NZ supra site, I got the following spec for my diff centre. Just to remind you, I got this diff of a 1997 MK4 Supra TT RZ 6 Speed MT (highlighted in red).

The crown wheel size: 8"(200mm)

Pinion Teeth: 15

Axle Code: A03B

Helical Gears: 8

Diff Ratio: 3.2:1

So it being 8" should fit into my open diff casing, but what about the diff ration 3.2:1? Will this be useful for my soarer?

Thank you

Edited by edinlexusV8 (see edit history)

Won't be useful unless you have a turbo or a manual trans swap. You will be loosing a lot of torque.

Swap out the ring gear for your stock 3.94 ring gear. It will reduce the amount of labor by a lot also. Once you swap pinions you've opened up a whole can of worms. There is a lot more setup time involved.

3.26 vs 3.94 means a 18% torque loss. So if you had 250 ft/lbs to the wheels... you'll now have 205 to the wheels.

This page should help you with the rebuild: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-and-maintenance/290641-the-start-of-some-v8-madness-4.html

Folks,

I got this link from the other forum and found this very useful when swapping the diff centre to an LSD esp when changing the ring gears. Have a look at this!

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-and-maintenance/290641-the-start-of-some-v8-madness-4.html

Cheers