The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Still having no luck with insurance!

Tom

Well, im still trying and trying but having no luck at all, I phoned tesco's earlier today as they did quote me on the car I want (1996> SZ-R) a month ago for just under 3k! that was with 2 years ncb, I now have 3yrs and im 20yo, anyway I went through the quote again with the girl on the phone and I get "sorry we cannot quote you on this car, you have to now be over 23 years of age" so under 23's with n/a's watch out an renewel! although it could mean TT's aswell?

I've tried adrian flux but they havent actually given me a quote I put in £2K as my best quote and they couldnt beat it, I'd pay 2k but no more than that.

I've tried a long list of insurers, will be trying keith michaels tommorow but does anyone have any insurance companies that i've possible not tried?

Thanks

Tom.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by uncle kev

How about a traders policy?

thats what iv done!

Who'd you get that with Kev?

My mate has a traders policy with Tradex. He told them he buys and sells cars part-time (he's a programmer by day) and his insurance was less than £1000 for any vehicle, including bikes. Works out much cheaper for him seeing as he drives a scooby and a Yamaha R1.

Seems a bit dodgy to me but he's had a claim and they paid out alright. Took their damn time though.

Im with Tradex too, but through catterall insurance.

I did the same, i said i did it part time , just a few cars a year.

then buY a couple of bangers to sell on.

my insurance on a GTO was £1300

not bad to say Privalige wanted £3500 :eek:

Tradex were the only company to insure me as i was 24.

Hope this helps.

kev.

Originally posted by SupraRuss

have you tried elephant. my insurance on a TT would be a mere £278 extra, about £1400 a year.

they now do monthly payments as well.

p.s. i DO NOT work for elephant :p

Have tried, Im acutally insured with them now but they wont quote me till im 21, and they dont seem to insure n/a's!

I have a number for hic insurance now, will give them a go today if still no luck then I dont know what to do, may even have to look at another car!

Originally posted by TDRAPER

anyway I went through the quote again with the girl on the phone and I get "sorry we cannot quote you on this car, you have to now be over 23 years of age" so under 23's with n/a's watch out an renewel!

I will be getting insured by them, its not what you know but hopefully who you know!!

my insure due in June so ill let you know how i get on. But im pretty sure ill still be with them :thumbs:

If not sterling insurance it will be, as theres not much difference

Correct me if i'm wrong but my brother is a trader and the trade4rs policy will not cover you for a private car. It only covers you to drive the vechiles.

Either way I know a lot of the traders policy loopholes have been closed recently. because people paying high premiums were just applying for a traders policy.

I am having the same sort of insurance problems. I think the major players have all changed their underwriters as most apart from adrian flux will now not insure me until I'm 25 on a TT, having previously been insured for about 2 years on the same TT with directline!

Originally posted by Snowman

Correct me if i'm wrong but my brother is a trader and the trade4rs policy will not cover you for a private car. It only covers you to drive the vechiles.

Yeah that is wrong, as I know several people that own garages that have there own (multiple) private cars on a policy.

Regards,

Gaz

Originally posted by Snowman

the trade4rs policy will not cover you for a private car. It only covers you to drive the vechiles.

Originally posted by Gaz Walker

Yeah that is wrong, as I know several people that own garages that have there own (multiple) private cars on a policy.

Gaz is right. You can drive your own car/bikes as well but you're supposed to declare them (the ones that are registered to you)

Originally posted by Supragal

this trade thing, does it cover mods? Do they give you an assured value or book price if you need to claim?

AIUI, Yes it covers any vehicle. I think that's how folks like Leon and Dude manage to to drive madly modded cars that no regular Ins Co would touch with a bargepole.

Assured value? No of course not, it's a trade policy so they will only pay out trade price - thats the biggest disadvantage

Tom its looking more and more like a UK TT is the way forward....

........get some quotes for one, i'd be interested to see how you get on.

plus my first impressions of the auto are good and i'm as pro manual as they come i think........ nice uk auto on the trader, with years warranty from a dealer for £7k, run it for a year (maybe while looking for the elusive manual?) how much will you lose?

that's what i'd do:)

Try entering your details on www.confused.com

They querie something like 94% of the UK insurers, apparently.

I'm 29 with 5 years no claims bonus and got a quote for £480 fully comp on my 1995 UK Twin Turbo, obviously my age helped but its worth a shot. This was through Bell Direct, who I believe are part of the Admiral group.

Cheers guys,

Scott yeah I could go back on the uk tt route just not sure, insurance on the uk tt is no problem at all, elephant quote me for £850! nice!, thats £200 less than my mini last year!! doesnt make any sense at all! its still just the potential running costs but I dunno!:looney:

Originally posted by Jake

, it's a trade policy so they will only pay out trade price - thats the biggest disadvantage

Wrong mate, they pay out the market value, same as any other insurance company.

The standard trade policy from Tradex for example, covers you up to a maximum total of 10k for personally owned cars, and 26k for any other car not owned by yourself.

Just to clear a few things up.

Originally posted by NWS25

Wrong mate, they pay out the market value, same as any other insurance company.

They only only paid trade price out on the write-off Imprezza my mate claimed for.

£3k for an import '95 WRX with 60,000 miles.

Unless you think that's the market value of such a car? I'd have thought it was worth more.