The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Starting/driving a supra after long storage?

Homer

The car has been parked pretty much for 18 months since the engine and drivetrain was installed. It's been started 4-5 times but never moved more than 30 foot at a time.

The car itself has not been driven on the road since mid 2005.

I plan on doing a bit of a shake down drive to the MOT station (it *should* pass), but since the car hasn't really moved in over 4 years. what precautionary steps should be taken before going out on public roads?

The gearbox oil was changed 6 months ago, the diff and engine oil are as they came from the scrap yard so probably 2 years old.

Brakes discs have a lot of surface rust.

definatly renew engine oil and put a new filter on maybe. Id change the diff fluid just to be safe.

You will also be smart to put fresh petrol in the tank as whatevers in there isnt probly to good nomore

if it doesnt start 1st time then just be patient and try again its bound to take a few attempts

brakes should clear of rust from a few stops, but makesure the calipers havnt seized otherwise your not stopping. Also check handbrake isnt locked on either

The car has been parked pretty much for 18 months since the engine and drivetrain was installed. It's been started 4-5 times but never moved more than 30 foot at a time.

The car itself has not been driven on the road since mid 2005.

I plan on doing a bit of a shake down drive to the MOT station (it *should* pass), but since the car hasn't really moved in over 4 years what precautionary steps should be taken before going out on public roads?

The gearbox oil was changed 6 months ago, the diff and engine oil are as they came from the scrap yard so probably 2 years old.

Brakes discs have a lot of surface rust.

make sure you remember your getting into a supra not a mondao :D just be carefull of the power :p

definatly renew engine oil and put a new filter on maybe. Id change the diff fluid just to be safe.

You will also be smart to put fresh petrol in the tank as whatevers in there isnt probly to good nomore

if it doesnt start 1st time then just be patient and try again its bound to take a few attempts

brakes should clear of rust from a few stops, but makesure the calipers havnt seized otherwise your not stopping. Also check handbrake isnt locked on either

Good stuff, thanks :) Engine oil and filter are a good point, i guess after all the time it's been sat it's not going to be any good now (even though it looks like new on the dipstick).

It's previously started on the button, the engine seems really good, so hopefully will still be okay.

There's virtually no fuel in the car (1-2 litres at most), so first stop will be to put a half tank of vpower in.

Calipers and hand brake seem fine, the brakes were fitted about 18 months ago and don't appear to be sticking but I guess I'll not know until they get some heat in them... this is one of the biggest concerns.

Tyre pressures? Also, rubber could have degraded if the tyres have gone down.

Another good point for the check list :) The tyre's are all brand new but will be checking pressures before it goes out.

make sure you remember your getting into a supra not a mondao :D just be carefull of the power :p

Yes, that 40bhp extra is going to be such a joy :D

You'll probably have more trouble after a few heat cycles have upset the coolant hoses 'n' stuff :)

-Ian

It's not so much those issues which are a concern, there's sure to be the odd leak after building a car from pretty much scratch, so am expecting a few hose and connection issues once it's been used a bit. It's more that initial run that's the worry right now :(

just remember roof off shades on and gel your hair ;)

Shut it you :p

that actualy sounds about right.. possibly a coolant change also will do it some good

Coolant flush and change will be done before it gets run next, that's on the check list already :thumbs:

Personally when a car has stood for that long I've always turned the engine a couple of times by hand, normally after putting a small amount of fuel down the spark plug holes for a bit of lube.

I don't like the idea of cranking it over at full speed 'dry' if you know what I mean.

Well it sounds like all the dodgy stuff - tyres, battery, fluids, brakes - haven't actually been on the car anywhere near all 4 years so just go around the block and see what falls off.

Some of the fluids are old (diff and engine oil), but most other stuff is either new, or known working 2nd hand.

Are wheel bearings and suspension anything to worry about as these for the most part haven't really moved in over 4 years.

Are wheel bearings and suspension anything to worry about as these for the most part haven't really moved in over 4 years.

As long as the rubber parts haven't degraded you should be ok.

It would take a few miles for them to fall apart anyway so you should be alright as long as the MOT station isn't too far. ;)

Seriously, I recently put an old Cortina back on the road after 11 years and that wasn't a problem. I replaced all water hoses, changed all the fluids, points and plugs and as I said earlier cranked it over manually a few times before firing it up.

If yours has stood with weight on wheels then I would have a good look at the tyres as they can perish and get flat spots.

Should always put a car on axle stand if its gonna sit for a long time.

Just about everything covered. :)

On the brakes, just dab them often until all rust stain is gone. You'll be able to tell if a disc is cracked then. I've had that before.

If the car starts straight away, I turn it off almost immediately. Then I know there's some oil getting to the extremities before the bits run too much with no oil film. Do it a couple of times.

Not as effective as turning it over with a kill switch off, as on a bike, but better than nothing.

Keep us posted. :)