The mkiv Supra Owners Club

GT35r DBB Kit, how much and where?

Scott

Where are the options for buying a full GT35r DBB kit for the supra? The obvious choice previously was Nic. I'm just giving my mind treats at the moment and want to work out approx how much money I would need to go single.

I am 100% positive this is the tubby for me, I just can't find any options on it.

Cheers

I follow you m8, when I will go single I will 100% go with the GT35r DBB turbo kit, sadly Nic isnt a seller anymore:(

I know the HKS downpipes have screamer pipes, do you know if it is possible to "not use it" if you want more sound from the wastegate?

I know the HKS downpipes have screamer pipes, do you know if it is possible to "not use it" if you want more sound from the wastegate?

Huh? If you don't use it you'll have less sound.

What I think you mean is that the HKS system has no screamer, because the dump tube from the wastegate is plumbed back into the downpipe. This creates less noise than a system where the dump tube vents to atmosphere, for obvious reasons. It's possible to vent the system to atmosphere, but if you buy an HKS kit then you'll end up chopping the original kit. Better to go for a kit with a screamer pipe as standard, like the PHR kits, if you want LOUD. Personally, I'd prefer it rerouted. That's just me though.

Thanks Gaz thats what i meant:) I just think the sound of a wastegate to atmosphere sounds amazing :p

My girlfriend has complained a screamer is very very loud when overtaking in an enclosed area :D

I love the screamer at WOT and the wastegate when letting off the throttle. Just need a quieter exhaust for those none-WOT moments.

Oh and earplugs for the missus.

Sent you a PM btw Scott

Firstly what a fantastic PM I received from Si (caseys). Sincerely, thanks very much for that mate, I'll be replying in a bit.

Thanks for the info and PM's guys, I'm not actually looking to buy right now as i haven't even begun to start saving. This is mearley the beginning of my investigation process. The only things I know for sure is that the Tubby will be the GT35R and that the ECU will be a Solaris mapped by Ryan. All the stuff inbetween, along with the saving, will be a long time coming I fear, especially with my first born due in April :)

Nic, you were the first person I thought of and I was in your "HKS/Garret" kit thread about 20 times last night trying to find the individual parts. I doubt there will be any way to get the items for that kind of money buying seperately though so I really do want to buy it as a kit.

So far i have found the HKS Manifold for £1200 and the Turbo for £1000.

Am I doing this back to front? Should I be annoying people with questions once I at least have the money to spend? I always like to know EXACTLY what I plan on doing before I consider even thinking about doing it.

In my head I had £3k - £3.5k for the turbo kit, £1.5 - £2k for the ECU & mapping, £600 for Injectors, £400 - £500 for clutch then of course the fitting (which i would attempt most of myself), new oil pump, new water pump, belts etc etc.

All in i had budgeted about 8k?

Firstly what a fantastic PM I received from Si (caseys). Sincerely, thanks very much for that mate, I'll be replying in a bit.

Thanks for the info and PM's guys, I'm not actually looking to buy right now as i haven't even begun to start saving. This is mearley the beginning of my investigation process. The only things I know for sure is that the Tubby will be the GT35R and that the ECU will be a Solaris mapped by Ryan. All the stuff inbetween, along with the saving, will be a long time coming I fear, especially with my first born due in April :)

Nic, you were the first person I thought of and I was in your "HKS/Garret" kit thread about 20 times last night trying to find the individual parts. I doubt there will be any way to get the items for that kind of money buying seperately though so I really do want to buy it as a kit.

Am I doing this back to front? Should I be annoying people with questions once I at least have the money to spend? I always like to know EXACTLY what I plan on doing before I consider even thinking about doing it.

In my head I had £3k - £3.5k for the turbo kit, £1.5 - £2k for the ECU & mapping, £600 for Injectors, £400 - £500 for clutch then of course the fitting (which i would attempt most of myself), new oil pump, new water pump, belts etc etc.

I'd add a couple of grand for contingency as well.

You'll need to cover the costs of labour for sheered bolts, full service whilst getting fitted, gaskets, etc...

Don't know if you have included it in your budget but you'll also need new spark plugs,poss fuel rail,pump and lines.

How come so many people use the Solaris ECU? is it cheap?

As below

Ryan G is the main reason :D

The old adage comes up again and again: choose your mapper, then allow him/her to help you with ECU choice.

Personally Scott, I'd talk to Ryan before committing to anything.

Absolutely no doubt Gaz. I'll have my ideas of what I want written down but they will certainly not be in stone until i have spoken to the main man himself :)

I'd add a couple of grand for contingency as well.

You'll need to cover the costs of labour for sheered bolts, full service whilst getting fitted, gaskets, etc...

I'm hoping to do a lot of the work myself, i'm not sure how viable this will be as obviously tapping lines into the block (is that what happens) will be a no-no for me. The service and nuts and bolt fitting isn't an issue for me. The turbo's have been on and off like a hookers drawers so i'm hoping for a bit of fortune when it comes to removing things.

As for a buffer of cash, that is something I won't be able to do unfortunately, the best I could do is overbudget for everything by a little bit. The bank manager (Wife) would crack up. I'm hoping that my experience as an engineer will help me through any tough tasks.

I'm hoping that I will be able to sell the bits and bobs that come off the car during the install and have that cash as a mini fall back. Other than that the credit card will be my only true fallback.

Don't know if you have included it in your budget but you'll also need new spark plugs,poss fuel rail,pump and lines.

I'm hoping for a set of drop in injectors. Will I need a resistance pack though?

New fuel pump will be budgeted for, will I need new fuel lines for such a small turbo?

You wont need fuel rail or lines upgrading for a GT35, stock rail and lines with drop in injectors and a single walbro will be fine.

Thought that, cheers Jamie. According to the previous owner the pump is a walbro. I have never checked though. For what it costs and for the ease of the change I might just get a new one anyway.

Go for high imp injectors, that way you wont need a resistor pack, i can recommend the "fuel injector clinic".

If you are on a very strict budget id not recommend going single mate.

I don't have any budget at all at the moment to be honest. Running the car won't be an issue as its a weekend car so oil changes every 3k miles etc won't be an issue. If things go wrong I can mostly deal with them from my garage. I don't drive the car particularly hard just now so i don't foresee any problems on that front, I just want a little bit extra kick when i want it, along with the "prestige" of having a single. My car is basically my hobby, not my toy or my track weapon.

I'm looking to spend the safe money all in the one go so that things don't go wrong in the future though. Obviously I would need an ideal world for this to happen exactly as I plan but i'm not overly worried about an extra few 100 here or an extra few hundred there. When the money runs into 1000's i'm in trouble, thats why I started this thread though.

If I wanted to do a single build on the cheap I could probably do it for about 3-4k to be honest (and even that estimation might be a bit high). I have heard of quotes of 1.5-2k single kits. You can only imagine the quality but that has always been an option for me up in Scotland. One that I haven't taken as I want to do it properly.

I can either save 10k or borrow 10k in a loan. I would rather save it up, which on my wage will take a while, so i have plenty of time to think about it and look into everything. It will also take me a while to talk the wife around to the idea. I just spent 2k on a respray and kit so the car isn't her favourite thing right now lol.

Sounds like you are well prepared for it, good luck with it all.

For parts i mainly use Dusty at MVP and Paul at whifbitz, both have good customer service.

Be Careful who you buy from, to many people getting stung on parts and waiting months.

Id save the money up over getting a loan, Single supra is good fun but not worth getting in debt for imo.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

Plans

Compression test & leakdown test then:

GT35R DBB Turbo Kit incliding everything required to fit the turbo (HKS manifold, gaskets, Return lines, etc)

Solaris Mapped By Ryan

800CC Injectors (Preferably drop in high imp)

256/256 Cams (After build is complete and running well, in other words money permitting)

RSR Stg 3 Clutch

New Oil Pump

New Water Pump

New walbro Fuel Pump

New Radiator

New Belts

Kevlar Timing belt

New plugs

Lots of new oil

New Oil filter(s)

Si recommended having my Cam seals looked at and my Crank seals looked at as well as my crank pully. Is it a case of having these replaced for longevity or just having them looked at to make sure they are fit for purpose?

Valve stem seals will be done in the near future also.

I have an RSR 3" exhaust which i will be keeping along with the Arc induction kit which I hope to keep.

No doubt I have missed loads.

What is involved with fitting the single kit? Is there a lot of drilling and tapping for the oil/water feed & return lines? I want to do as much as I can but obviously it would be hard to drive the car with no turbo's or extra oil/water lines?

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

For parts i mainly use Dusty at MVP and Paul at whifbitz, both have good customer service.

Be Careful who you buy from, to many people getting stung on parts and waiting months.

Id save the money up over getting a loan, Single supra is good fun but not worth getting in debt for imo.

Thanks for the info & advice Jamie :thumbs:

i would agree with that i have bought my stuff from both no problems

Plans

800CC Injectors

May be overkill for that turbo? Could go a lower CC there. A single walbro pump as JP says is sufficient. Fuel lines fine too.

Si recommended having my Cam seals looked at and my Crank seals looked at as well as my crank pully. Is it a case of having these replaced for longevity or just having them looked at to make sure they are fit for purpose?

Longeivity as well as mitigation, the PITA they are if they do go, the seals themselves are cheap. If you're doing it at your leisure you may as well change these bits now to hopefully save pain in the future. But that's just my approach... if they look fine you could leave them.

Si

You'll need to budget for a clutch, I would also fit an oil cooler.

Weld on flange for the BOV.

I'd go with Power Enterprise 650cc or 800cc injectors, these fit the stock rail and are high impedance.

I added a clutch to the list after editing. RPS Stg 3? Not sure on the cost of this but I believe it to be about £400? Oil cooler sounds like a plan too.

What’s the going rate for a set of 800cc PE injectors?

May be overkill for that turbo? Could go a lower CC there. A single walbro pump as JP says is sufficient. Fuel lines fine too.

Longeivity as well as mitigation, the PITA they are if they do go, the seals themselves are cheap. If you're doing it at your leisure you may as well change these bits now to hopefully save pain in the future. But that's just my approach... if they look fine you could leave them.

Si

The only reason I am thinking 800cc is so that IF I do ever go bigger I won’t need to buy the injectors again. Just trying to future proof although I don’t plan on going any bigger.

I’m not so sure about changing all the seals and pumps myself. I think I would get a pro to do all that work. Saying that I don’t actually know what is involved. I prefer to do the top down work rather than working from underneath the car. The likes of swapping out the twins for a single wouldn’t be an issue for me. I do like to try things myself but I would be scared of messing something up. I have plenty of time to do any of the work but I don’t have anyone nearby that can help me out if I get stuck…. At least I don’t think I do. If anything went wrong I would need to then get the car transported to a garage, probably costing more in the long run. I’ve had the inlet manifold off and stripped down as far as the injectors. Replacing them etc wouldn’t be an issue. Is there a lot involved in swapping over the water pump? The oil pump? The seals? Are special tools needed or is a socket set good enough?

As I said, I like to know exactly what I am doing before attempting it, whether its working on the car or buying a part.

Cheers