The mkiv Supra Owners Club

nurburgring

tony tt

Might be doing this next year are there any preperation tips to get the car ready for the trip? its bpu uk brakes all round and will be serviced before i leave. its in july so plenty time :D it will be my first time to the ring. anything i should be giving extra attention to on the car?

I would say put some toyo R888's tyres on 100% best mod you can do for the ring :), And go with the rest of the guys on the forum we go around that time every year.

I looked online at nurburgring 700 and there doing quite a good deal £400 per person £800 per car is that about right? obviously i would love to come with the club though :D

Just to mention that if its your first time then any decent tyre would be good. The best tyre IMO is something that you find very predictable and something that you are very used to in terms of feedback and how the car 'handles'.

A point to mention if you do choose something like the R888s is that the higher level of grip you have means the margin between having maximum grip and stepping over it when sliding is smaller than with a 'usual' tyre. And maybe this is something you'd not want to experiment with when on the N'Ring for the first time?

A geo check up is always a good thing to do, to make sure your wheels are pointing correctly and thus not giving you any unexpected handling issues on a track such as the N'Ring.

Apart from that then things like recent oil change, making sure you have enough pad and dics, good tyre tread, decent brake fluid and also something that was raised by Cheifgroover a few years ago is your power steering fluid....if this is old then it may cause your power steering to pack up due to the nature of the track and the stresses and heat that are caused by driving 22km and 147 corners.

Oh and finally on 19's you may get the tyres rubbing on the inner arches..... can happen both on the front and rear.....if you get this on any fast road driving then it will be much worse on the N'Ring...a simple fix are those rubber coil inserts that can be bought from halfords....or abviously rasing your suspension by a couple of mm if it is adjustable.

As mentioned already a good thing to do is go with other members on an organised trip.... you can learn a LOT from people who have already been there.

Just to mention that if its your first time then any decent tyre would be good. The best tyre IMO is something that you find very predictable and something that you are very used to in terms of feedback and how the car 'handles'.

A point to mention if you do choose something like the R888s is that the higher level of grip you have means the margin between having maximum grip and stepping over it when sliding is smaller than with a 'usual' tyre. And maybe this is something you'd not want to experiment with when on the N'Ring for the first time?

A geo check up is always a good thing to do, to make sure your wheels are pointing correctly and thus not giving you any unexpected handling issues on a track such as the N'Ring.

Apart from that then things like recent oil change, making sure you have enough pad and dics, good tyre tread, decent brake fluid and also something that was raised by Cheifgroover a few years ago is your power steering fluid....if this is old then it may cause your power steering to pack up due to the nature of the track and the stresses and heat that are caused by driving 22km and 147 corners.

Oh and finally on 19's you may get the tyres rubbing on the inner arches..... can happen both on the front and rear.....if you get this on any fast road driving then it will be much worse on the N'Ring...a simple fix are those rubber coil inserts that can be bought from halfords....or abviously rasing your suspension by a couple of mm if it is adjustable.

As mentioned already a good thing to do is go with other members on an organised trip.... you can learn a LOT from people who have already been there.

Thanks AJI ill take it on board ;)

If your car is jspec with stock "oil cooler", you will be running hot on the oil after ½ a lap if you give it some stick. If you don't have an oil temp gauge, get one. And an oil cooler. I'm definataly getting one before next trip in the spring. I was topping 130C after passing Adenau going up towards Carousel. I wasn't borthered as much the first 2-3 times I was there, but after learning a bit more on how to drive, speeds rise and so does to pressure on the engine.

As ealier mentioned make sure you have some good and newish brake fluid.

Also, it's hard to plan a trip/set a date before you know what times the track is open to the public. It would be pity to go down there and only have 2 hours in the evening one day or so... I'm guessing next years schedule will be releaset a bit after new years.

Edited by bodilx6 (see edit history)