The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Proper gearbox for all these so called "1000BHP" cars around just now

Chris Wilson

Why would you need one when, you can run 8.2 1/4 miles and launch at 6700rpm and 1 bar boost with a stock box and carbon prop, or failing that fit a pfitzner dog conversion, see the you tube links in the drag geometry thread.

That's not the point,how fast you can go with a stock box and support mods has been done to death on Youtube in all those "look how fast my supra is" threads.

My question was will this ever fit a Supra?nothing more nothing less.

That's not the point,how fast you can go with a stock box and support mods has been done to death on Youtube in all those "look how fast my supra is" threads.

My question was will this ever fit a Supra?nothing more nothing less.

Yes................................................ Is my answer, nothing more nothing less

Yes it could fit a Supra, it won't have a bellhousing integral with the gearbox, so you can mount them pretty much behind any engine. It would probably need a different input shaft. The gear lever connects to the box remotely, with a rod or cable, so the gear lever could be in the boot if you wanted :) The box is designed to run 6 hour or even twelve hour races, with countless race speed gear changes not hang on by a thread for 10 seconds with 5 changes :)

The box is designed to run 6 hour or even twelve hour races, with countless race speed gear changes not hang on by a thread for 10 seconds with 5 changes :)
Would this be an option as a daily driver box or is it pure racing.Why will it only last 4000km?Is this based on flat out max torque all the time?

No it would not be suitable for a road car, it's a pure race box, no synchros, straight cut gears so will whine like hell. It is lifed at that like most race car bits are lifed, in race terms 4000 km/s is a long way. It will be made light in a magnesium casing, and the gears will be no bigger than needed for low inertia, but big enough to survive a V10 truck engine driving big wide tyres under race conditions with a few race starts thrown in. But it is the correct sort of thing for the sort of torque people with some Supras would have if they really have 900 or more BHP available. It's also easily rebuildable, with a choice of ratios and provision for a proper oil cooler system. It's also cheap, for what it is, and new would have cost about 4 times that price I would think!

No it would not be suitable for a road car, it's a pure race box, no synchros, straight cut gears so will whine like hell. It is lifed at that like most race car bits are lifed, in race terms 4000 km/s is a long way. It will be made light in a magnesium casing, and the gears will be no bigger than needed for low inertia, but big enough to survive a V10 truck engine driving big wide tyres under race conditions with a few race starts thrown in. But it is the correct sort of thing for the sort of torque people with some Supras would have if they really have 900 or more BHP available. It's also easily rebuildable, with a choice of ratios and provision for a proper oil cooler system. It's also cheap, for what it is, and new would have cost about 4 times that price I would think!

Thanks Chris.

This will be an option next year when my car goes into retirement as a DD.