The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Texaco Super Unleaded Plus

Lewis

Not wishing to gt into the whole "optimax is best" argument but I just thought I would make a post about this:

Until the day before yesterday my jap has only had optimax but I was caught short the other day and was forced into a texaco.

I don't know if I have just been getting duff optimax for the last 4-5months (unlikely - very busy garage always being topped up) or what but JEEEEEEEEEESUS I put 20squids worth of the texaco super unleaded plus in and it was like a kick in the arse for the car.

Kick-down came in and I thought I was being towed by a 747 mid-flight. It was so much fun I went for a 3 hour drive to nowhere in particular and loved every minute.

Amazing difference.

Thought it may be useful to someone.

funny I heard that Texeco was supposed to be the best some years ago and a friend who worked in the Oily Industry gave me some reseans but cant remember what they were. I do find their Super is v expensive though compared to Optimax.

It would be really good if a Car programme did a proper test, or a mag, and actually measured them up against each other.

Just trying to think where my nearest Texaco is now, I'm running on fumes at the moment and going out tonight, so I need some juice.

I tried that PB stuff last 2 fill ups and there was no real difference between that an Optimax, that I noticed.!

I ain't a tech guru but I noticed this on some emergency BP super unleaded once - rang a mate who said "it could well be pre-detonation occuring causing an extremely hot flame wavefront over your cylinder heads giving a noticable kick but frying your engine"

You wont get more power out of any gasoline unless its RON is actually higher - at least thats what my chemistry teacher told me.

Careful chaps

R

Guest Terry S

Tis strange you say this. I could easily run the same boost/timing in the purple car using texaco as Optimax. I was also told their injector cleaning agents are the best.

Originally posted by Terry S

Tis strange you say this. I could easily run the same boost/timing in the purple car using texaco as Optimax. I was also told their injector cleaning agents are the best.

Maybe my injectors were a bit mucky and this cleaned them up a bit -- pfft I dunno, I am a great believer of "suck it and see" (easy tiger!!)

It worked well for me that time so I will try it again, if it is equally good a second time I will stick with it for a while.

Ta for the input

This is interesting because I have to go out of my way to get Optimax or Ultimate but Texaco is on my daily route so I tend to use this more often than the others.

I have never had any problems running the Texaco and as far as I can tell without reaching escape velocity there is no penalty compared to BP or Shell.