The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Do Porterfield R4 Race carbon kevlar pads ever stop screeching?

tony1

I have just had fitted a new set of grooved 3G discs front and back, with Goodridge braided lines, Motul 5.1 brake fluid and Porterfield R4 Race carbon kevlar pads. The mechanic who fitted it all told me the brakes are going to screech until they warm up because Kevlar is such a hard compound. Sure enough, the brakes are actually ok when cold but once they warm up they screech like hell. It is actually rather embarrassing because it sounds like a big old dumpier truck not a Supra.

i presume you are talking about the R4-E race pads which operate at 600 F :blink:, unless you are primarily tracking the car these are going to be a pain in the a*rse in most road situations, for this very reason i went for the R4-S which is Porterfields fast road pad and operates in the 450 F range

i presume you are talking about the R4-E race pads which operate at 600 F :blink:, unless you are primarily tracking the car these are going to be a pain in the a*rse in most road situations, for this very reason i went for the R4-S which is Porterfields fast road pad and operates in the 450 F range

I was thinking that, IMO its a bit overkill for a road car.... Theyre probably squeeling cos they havent got hot enough and glazed over

I have the race pads and they never, ever squeeled, they're also 100% fine for road use even from cold. :)