The mkiv Supra Owners Club

drag supra suspension geometry

Guest reqd

hi everybody

new on the forum

im from dominican republic

i got a mkiv supra, HKS Hypermax Drag Coilovers for suspension along with PHR rear control arms, toe arms, and traction bar, also got all the rear bushing on aluminum, 275/50/r15 bfg drag tyres

could some one tell me whats the best setup configuration for drag like adjusting the rear of the car, + camber degrees how much?, toe degrees, clicks on the coilovers, softer on the front hard on rear, anything you could tell me.

cars is only for steet/drag but mostly for drag

any help apreciated.

thanks a lot.

You want the car to squat at the rear and rise at the front and stay squated at the rear and high at the front as you go down the track, You also want the rear wheels to sit with pos camber so the tops are out further than the bottoms, that way when you put the power down they sit flat and use the whole of the tread, make suer the thrust angle is as close to 0 as you can and set the rear toe up for dead ahead, the front geo is not so important, you really need to video the car from behind as it launches and keep adjusting till the tyres sit flat, depends on your power etc.

These settings will NOT work on the road, you cannot do both, so mark the adjusters in the road position and track when you find the ideal settings.

so

for the rear its to setup the suspension soft an hard on front

+ camber

0 toe

video the car so i can adjust and se result (tires flat)

didnt understand this part.

"make suer the thrust angle is as close to 0 as you can and set the rear toe up for dead ahead"

When the thrust angle is zero your four wheels are all pointing in a dead straight line parallel to the centre line of your car.

Rear toe relates to the tracking of the rear wheels, and is measured and adjusted just like the tracking of the front wheels.

Toe-in and toe-out affect the straight line stability of a car in different ways, "straight ahead" means the wheels are parallel to each other (not to be confused with the thrust angle).

so

for the rear its to setup the suspension soft an hard on front

+ camber

0 toe

video the car so i can adjust and se result (tires flat)

didnt understand this part.

"make suer the thrust angle is as close to 0 as you can and set the rear toe up for dead ahead"

You have the basics, to do this properly you need some PROPER shocks with a lot of adjustment and not just on the compression side of things, its really the rebound (how fast the piston reacts) that will control the shock, in the back the valving will allow the shock to compress easily and quickly but not allow it to release in the same manner, reverse for the front, this is to aid weight transfer to the rear wheels.

This is why fast drag cars crash, because to do this you need to make them very unstable ie as little weight on the steering wheels as poss. Penske do a good set up but will rush you about $4000 but you can use this on the road as well as the drag strip just with a few clicks of adjustment. I am having some made and set up by a guy who builds touring cars for factory teams.:taped:

If you are serious about drag racing bin the independent back suspension and put a properly located live axle and spool in it. You don't want camber change in compression for drag racing!

Thats what I always thought untill you see the titan/Boostlogic car launch with the front wheels up and run a 7 !!!