The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Confessions of an autogearboxaphobe

The-Plethora

First don't laugh.

I have been driving for the last 14 years or so and have only ever driven a manual. As I am on the lookout for a Supra now it's not the insurance, running costs or finding my way around an engine thats got my concerned its making the transition to an automatic setup.

I am just wondering if someone with a similar experience can give me a heads up on what it is like to move over to an auto having only ever driven manual. I kinda get the 'gear' selection but do you find yourself looking for the phantom pedal, what about clutch control / stalling etc is it likely something that I can pick up very quickly or the sort of thing that needs an ad hoc driving lesson to get used to?

The first time you drive one there is a chance you'll try and throw yourself through the window when you brake with the wrong foot but apart from that there isn't a great deal you can get wrong. Give it about 20 metres and you'll be fine... unless you are severely retarded of course.

Just make sure you try a few different cars with conventional automatic gearboxes and then drive the Supra, it's a nice 'box in comparison to many.

I was driving manual cars for 14 years before stumbling over Supra with autobox. My only comparision was BMW 316i and BMW 735i and Supras autobox is just perfect. Going to redline no problem, reducing gears when you would want her to reduce them, handling both (aggressive and easy) driving without any problem at all.

I did sort out "clutch leg" problem by putting in firmly on the dedicated place next to brake pedal.

I'm pretty sure you will love autobox in no time :)

Konrad

The auto is very easy to get used to. One tip if you have been a manual driver all your life, tuck your left foot up against the seat to keep it out of the way to start with. then you wont go for the clutch and find your foot jammed on the big brake pedal.

Once you are used to an auto you can use use the overdrive and 2nd gear options to give you some control when slowing down in to a corner.

I still maintain I would be just as quick round a track in an auto as I would a manual. I really do think they are that good.

The first time you drive one there is a chance you'll try and throw yourself through the window when you brake with the wrong foot but apart from that there isn't a great deal you can get wrong. Give it about 20 metres and you'll be fine... unless you are severely retarded of course.

Just make sure you try a few different cars with conventional automatic gearboxes and then drive the Supra, it's a nice 'box in comparison to many.

Not sure why unless you start left foot braking :) Oh i see now ive read JB's post, i didnt suffer that problem to be honest.

LFBraking is fun to start with but not that hard to master, best practiced on clear rds, infront and behind ;)

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

First don't laugh.

I must admit to chuckling, but only because I thought I was the only one who had reservations about driving an auto.

The only experience I had of an auto 'box was in a former work colleague's Espace, and... well, it didn't go well.

I've driven manuals for 9 years.

My aristo's my first auto and I dont think I'll go back to a manual car again. It really is the way forward.

Auto's used to be naff things usually drivern by old coffin dodgers. Now some of the fastest cars in the world have auto transmissions !! Its the way forward !!!!

Going from manual to auto is easier than it is to go back again (if you've been solely auto for a while), and even that isn't bad. I currently have both - auto Supra and manual Leon. The auto is a doddle to drive - it has a stop pedal and a go pedal - and I prefer it by a long way. You'll be fine :)

The only thing I do now, and it's very rare, is that I forget to use the clutch in my manual and wonder why I'm juddering as I slow down. I've never looked for a clutch in an auto.

I understand what you mean, my Dad drove manual's his own life.

When I was showing how to drive the auto and he was driving, he nearly put my head through the windows when he put his left foot down (as he was slowing down) thinking about the clutch! I head butted the window and landed back in the seat. I think since then he has never done it again!

He was out in the C Class with me once and then since then never looked back. Its not difficult trust me,

though just for more confidence and to make it easier drive it at night when their are less cars around. I did this with my pops!

An if you get "Oh its an auto...." response from anyone, just reply..."looks like you know nothing about cars"

I got this recently from a security guard in canary wharf while checking my car for a bomb :D

I got the "oh its an auto" comment from a chap in the pub once, after i took him out in it for 10 mins he soon changed his opinion :D

He'd actually changed it after 5 mins but i thought i'd just make sure :D

Hehe do you mean the bit where his crying telling you to slow down, but you thought you'd just make sure incase his faking it! :p

I used to be a manual guy only (Audi Quattro, BMW M5 etc etc). I had driven a few auto's but to date these had been older early 90's cars with basic crude ish 4spd gearboxes.

About 4 years ago when I just hit 26 yrs old, I got a 53' Jaguar XKR automatic and it blew m mind, amazing response from the gearbox to teh minutest throttle inputs, always just dropping down a gear, two or three or more depending on how far I pushed the pedal.... gearchanges up and down with unoticeable they were that silky smooth. This then got p/xd for a 996T Triptronic and I also got a Volvo C70 T5 automatic which is as impressive as the Jag, breath taking auto box. These modern boxes have further advanced and modern computer maps, ECU's, technology etc to make them just a absolute joy.

The Supra, being an early ish (starting in 1993) design made me quatesion if I'd like the 4spd auto box...... I cab its a breath taking 4spd box, works just like the modern 5spd on in my Volvo, pretty much holds the exact same revs at the same speeds and I use my Supra auto on weekends for motorways mainly and its a peach!

Auto's have their advantages and in the real world for the vast majority of the time a hi-tech auto box is the way to go, effortless overtaking, relaxing driving experience, yet useful enough to use well for spirted driving etc. The Supra also benefits from having a 'manu' (manumatic) mode allowing for manual like shifting. Also with a turbo'd vehicle you don't loose boost between gear chages ;):cool:;)

I'll join the brigade of i would'nt go back, i dont see the need to row & stomp in unison anymore, (unless i got heavily into track days),when i can relax we also get cruise. Auto's used to be crude slush boxes like in my old Rustang, not pleasant, they also would loose a bunch of performance, but those days are all but gone.

ABZ think ive seen u in Docklands i used to do OT in the HSBC building, never had any comments on my method of gear changing ahough :)