The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyre choice

jackso11

There are a lot of threads on this, I have had some interesting reading but not found exactly this comparison.

There is not much in it price wise, but which of these tyres do people think are best?

Falken FK452 vs Avon ZZ3 ?

I usually use Falkens but am changing my wheels and can get a good deal on Avons..

Opinions on a postcard (and on here for quick reading)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We are in the tyre trade and are quite happy with Falken's in general and I run the ZE912 on my 328i and the FK452 on the company demo 328i. The only downside to date with the Falkens acorss a range of our own cars has been that they are a bit noisier than the leading premium brands (Michelin/Goodyear/Continental etc), but they do last exceptionally well and provide a decent level of all round performance. If money was every an issue, I'd go for these.

Avons (all of which I have tested to date) have been pooor, mainly due to the fact that they are unable to perform as you would expect a half decent premium brand tyre to do so in greasy and wet conditions.

If you can afford a bit more, go for Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric (cheaper than Michelin/Continental) and these are always my favourite in general, great price, super consistent performance from cold and across a variety of conditions with a very good wear rate. If you are feeling a little more flush, then Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (i am running these on my car).

just looked up the goodyears, an extra £50-£60 per tyre puts them out of my range I am afraid. All good advise though.

Also, just realised that not in the package I am looking at the Avons are a couple of quid more than the Falkens....but they are poor performers?

Looks like Falken wins so far.

just looked up the goodyears, an extra £50-£60 per tyre puts them out of my range I am afraid. All good advise though.

Also, just realised that not in the package I am looking at the Avons are a couple of quid more than the Falkens....but they are poor performers?

Looks like Falken wins so far.

I tested the Avons on a few cars, my old Celica, E36 M3, my previous BMW M5 and all were promptly removed immediately after terrible performance in adverse conditions. I also had the BMW remove the tyres and replace with Pirelli (they would not fit anything else for me) prior to before writing the cheque.

Never had any customer complaints with any of the Falken range and we also run them generally across several family/relatives cars as well.

Edited by DSK (see edit history)

no, got 18" wheels and looking to change them for new 18" wheels.

But if you like the Falkens, I currently have a set of FK451's that have done 50 miles and are fitted to a set of standard 16" alloys.....you can buy them off me if you like :)

PM me for more details ;)

I hope you don't have stock 16" alloys: you can't get Falkens 452s in that size any more. :(

16" sizes are quite rare outside odd OEM fitements nowadays. However if Falken do them in 16" then we will also have them. I do recall a few weeks ago that we did take stock of some 16" FK452, 205/50/16 IIRC, not sure if it was for stock or a special order.

Edited by DSK (see edit history)

But if you like the Falkens, I currently have a set of FK451's that have done 50 miles and are fitted to a set of standard 16" alloys.....you can buy them off me if you like :)

If they were 245/45/16 then I'd have taken them from you 2 or 3 weeks ago. I had to go for Toyos instead.

16" sizes are quite rare outside odd OEM fitements nowadays. However if Falken do them in 16" then we will also have them. I do recall a few weeks ago that we did take stock of some 16" FK452, 205/50/16 IIRC, not sure if it was for stock or a special order.

Can you get hold of them in 245/45/16?

i do 40k plus a yr not in the supra in 2.4 accord tried lots of tires all the top brands found the sp9000 from dunlop excellent. and no diff execept cheaper the ventus range from hankook k104/k110 evo

Shamless plug but i have a pair of dunlop s9000 for sale on here - 265/35/18 ;)

Ive got falkens on the back of mine at the min and they are pretty poor for grip imo.

Anyone got a link to that site that says what size tyres will fit on what width rims? i cant find it now.

http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator.htm

Have a look here for the offset guide

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachm...6&d=1233170142

Edited by Frank Bullitt (see edit history)

Ive got falkens on the back of mine at the min and they are pretty poor for grip imo.

Anyone got a link to that site that says what size tyres will fit on what width rims? i cant find it now.

Is that not because your running a huge amount of horsepower or do you have that opinion in general as personally on my reasonably stockish set up they seem pretty good to me unless its very wet :)

Thats not what im looking for bud, i need to know what width tyres will fit of what width rim, basicly will a 305/35/18 fit on a 10" wide wheel.

305mm is 12 inches, so I'd have thought that would be a bit wide for a 10 inch wheel :search:

There's a really nice size guide on the link below that shows the dimensions. It's a bit different to other as automatically calculates all the metrics.

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp