The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manual to auto conversion

mrgee2jz

Yes they share the same loom and have the wiring for the auto, if you lift up the panel around the gear stick you should see them.

Err they do not have the wiring for the auto box, they may well have the wiring present for under the gear surround but you will need to change the engine to ecu loom for an auto one.:(

They do have extra wiring under the gear surround, always assumed it was for the autoshifter.

Dude is correct on this, though the 6spd has 'spare' wiring under the dash, it doesn't have the part of the loom that connects to all the auto-shifter plugs. The 6spd also misses the wiring for the kick-down switch.

going 6spd->auto is a lot more complex than going auto->6spd. Just off the top of my head you'd need

- main dash loom

- engine loom

- auto trans tunel plate

- auto ecu

- auto prop

- auto diff

- auto driveshaft

- instrument cluster

- then all the shifter, pedals, accelerator, etc...

Dude is correct on this, though the 6spd has 'spare' wiring under the dash, it doesn't have the part of the loom that connects to all the auto-shifter plugs. The 6spd also misses the wiring for the kick-down switch.

going 6spd->auto is a lot more complex than going auto->6spd. Just off the top of my head you'd need

- main dash loom

- engine loom

- auto trans tunel plate

- auto ecu

- auto prop

- auto diff

- auto driveshaft

- instrument cluster

- then all the shifter, pedals, accelerator, etc...

Well i have a complete car to swap bits back and forth.

Auto wiring is easy to come accross on every TT lump

Oh i forgot to mention the car the auto box is going into is a 5speed N/A, if it makes a difference, i know the tunnel will be fine but my main concern was the wiring to the shifter and the wires to the clocks. Im more that capable of retrofitting a kickdown switch.

I just cant be bothered swapping the cars internal loom, been there done that, got the badge. dont fancy doing it again

Oh i forgot to mention the car the auto box is going into is a 5speed N/A, if it makes a difference, i know the tunnel will be fine but my main concern was the wiring to the shifter and the wires to the clocks. Im more that capable of retrofitting a kickdown switch.

I'm not sure if you have fully understood what has been posted. The trans tunnel requires changing, it needs the 6spd plate cutting out and the auto plate bonded/welded in it's place. The wiring is different, you *will* need to replace the dash looms (there are two of them) along with the engine loom. The kick down switch feeds back to the ECU, but if you know what you are doing it's posible to retrofit, but will not be easy as the wiring and plugs are missing on two looms.

Edit - Just seen that you are the e30 fella so you won't be afraid of a bit of fabrication. Which is the one you are converting from manual to auto? The TT or the NA? It'll make a big difference to any more responses.

I'm not sure if you have fully understood what has been posted. The trans tunnel requires changing, it needs the 6spd plate cutting out and the auto plate bonded/welded in it's place. The wiring is different, you *will* need to replace the dash looms (there are two of them) along with the engine loom. The kick down switch feeds back to the ECU, but if you know what you are doing it's posible to retrofit, but will not be easy as the wiring and plugs are missing on two looms.

Edit - Just seen that you are the e30 fella so you won't be afraid of a bit of fabrication. Which is the one you are converting from manual to auto? The TT or the NA? It'll make a big difference to any more responses.

Cool mate. Lol. yes, i have stripped a complete supra car loom previously and along with the E30 and made it work. one of the most stressfull times but im good with wires.

And to simplify, project is. N/A 5 speed manual to TT auto.

So the trans tunnel is already the smaller type.

Just never really messed around properly with swaps till now.

The reason i am doing it is. I just want an auto TT. I have a shell/Gearbox and engine.

But i threw away the shell that the auto came from :(

The question is can i be bothered?

Or i suppose i could do it in stages.

1st swap the dash looms over. as it wont affect drivability

Then swap over the rest