The mkiv Supra Owners Club

rx7, what do you know?

pezzler

i love my supra, even just gazing at it out of the window. however, i have recently been tempted by rx7's. its kinda like the flirty office girl at work; she looks fun, but could you really cheat on your wife?? please slag off the rx7 to stop me leaving my supra for another jap

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to get one before I bought the Supe.

The import company managed to change my mind by explaining just how much money they cost to run/rebuild.

It's not a case of 'if' it will need a rebuild but 'it will'.

I was so glad I changed my mind and bought the supe instead.

i have always wondered how garages can justify the cost of rebuilding a rotary engine. i have heard that £4-5k isnt unheard of. i believe the engines have to have an overhaul every 50k, but unless im completely off the mark, rotary engines arnt massively complex. i think is the compactness, and light weight which appeals - looks wise, i'd take the supra any day. im taking a stab in the dark, but im guessing in stock form, the rx7 and supra would have similar performance in a 0-60 - 1/4 mile scenario if the power to weight ratio is anything to go by. obviously the supra has a meatier mid/top end, but the rx7 is more agile.... cant believe i'm bigging up an rx7 on the supra forum...!

Edited by pezzler (see edit history)

Here here.

Silly engine, IMHO of course. I'd rather cut off a toe than buy an RX7. They can be quick, but can't handle big power very well either.

good point - a few of the rx7s running singles claim 5-600bhp, how the fook do people lay down all 600 of their claimed horses in such a nimble little car. ive never heard of them having a "widow maker" reputation but i imagine they can be a handful with big power

Nice looking cars. Who cares if they need a £2k engine rebuild ever 50K miles or so? Compared to running some german cars (RS4, M3, etc) 2k every couple of years is not outrageous.

I presume they're running 'like-new' after a rebuild - almost seems like good value!

Nice looking cars. Who cares if they need a £2k engine rebuild ever 50K miles or so? Compared to running some german cars (RS4, M3, etc) 2k every couple of years is not outrageous.

I presume they're running 'like-new' after a rebuild - almost seems like good value!

I know what u mean mate, inspection 2 service on the m3 is over half the price of a rebuild on a rx7!

I do like them though and always fancied one but put off due to following badpoints,

heavy on fuel,

hard to tune,

easily get flooded and then don't start straight away(embarrasing in traffic!),

Have electrical niggles sometimes due to poor grounding and corrision,

Generally unreliable unless u get a good one with history etc.

I considered one before my supe but glad i bought the supe instead.

I have had a couple and work on two for other people. Both mine blew up, admittedly the first ran its life on track days, and was of indeterminate engine hours when I bought it. The second was a fresh engine from a reputable company, and that had coolant issues. The one I last worked on was having poor idle problems and a compression test showed the expectedly poor results, and needs a re build. They are VERY hard to silence without killing power, waste a whole bunch of fuel energy as insane heat, and are very hard to get through legit emissions tests when tuned.

Good sides? Handle like an absolute dream, with sophisticated bodyshell and suspension for their age, don't rust much, have a great gearbox, have oodles of GOOD tuning gear available, look lovely unless got at by a down market body kit maker and fitter, and are cheap to buy.

My recommendation is buy as stock an import as you can find with a blown engine, and get a proper rebuild done with new rotor chambers and sadwich plates, with good tip seals and only mod it if you know someone who is a true expert on them, and there are a mere handful over here.