The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Retro-fitting a flappy paddle box

Gaz6002

I've been thinking about gearbox options. I like the 6 speed, but I LOVE flappy paddles. Every car I drive with them makes me smile.

Anyone looked into retro-fitting another type of 'box? Has anyone retro-fitted a tiptronic one?

I'd love a dual shaft 'box really though for those lightening quick changes. Anyone know anything about PDK 'boxes? How about Audi S tronic?

Bear in mind I have a single turbo, so it would need to take some stick :D

Alternatively, can someone tell me I'm stupid?

Peas out.

I went out in my mates R32 DSG at the weekend, shifts are lightening fast & ultra smooth, still not sure if I'd like one in my "toy" car though, I still prefer the manual shift for some reason

The VW 'boxes are fairly advanced, they've been using them for a while now. Trouble is, only the new S tronic Audi boxes will hold up to big power.

The RS5 will have a dual shaft box, and that is going to be a benchmark car for the sector.

i like proper flappy padles that controll a manual box , so you can go up and down as you please but im not a fan of auto boxes with the manual fflappy attached as they dont go down when you want them to , they think they know better. id like to see you fit one though. a proper hard core race manual flappy box.

The VW 'boxes are fairly advanced, they've been using them for a while now. Trouble is, only the new S tronic Audi boxes will hold up to big power.

The RS5 will have a dual shaft box, and that is going to be a benchmark car for the sector.

One thing i did notice, from inside the car everything was really quiet & smooth, when I got out & he pulled away there was a very abrupt noise from the exhaust when it shifted, didn't sound very pleasing to teh ear TBH

There was a thread a while ago with talk of fitting a M3 SMG flappy paddle box to a supra, for me id hate one, i need a clutch to dump.

Well you do like it sideways :D

Hadn't considered the SMG, although is that a dual shaft box or just a regular auto with paddles? I'd really like a dual shaft one for the speed...

One thing i did notice, from inside the car everything was really quiet & smooth, when I got out & he pulled away there was a very abrupt noise from the exhaust when it shifted, didn't sound very pleasing to teh ear TBH

In what way would you say it's different to an auto Supra? I guess the noise you mean is because of the quick engage/disengage of the two clutches.

I'm looking at the 370Z 'box now :)

what about if you could get hold of a triptronic out of a supra then retroing a flappy paddle set up for that maybe? :shrug:

granted its probly not as advanced in comparison to flappy paddle boxes from this day and age but its a start...

I had thought about that, but I don't want a semi-auto unless it's as quick as a DSG or better :D

It's hard to describe really, a manual shift has a nice smoothness to it, this DSG sounded a bit like someone trying to shift a manual too fast where they had pressed the clutch, shifted & had engaged the clutch before the revs had a chance to drop,

Surely that's a good thing? I'd like something that changes before revs tail off too much.

I wouldn't waste my time with the tiptronic as a retro fit. You'd need the engine harness, ecu and then still try to get flappy paddles that fit. Also, the ECU for the tiptronics is a facelift version, and the wiring going to the auto box is different (even though it's the same model as the auto the speed sensor wires etc are different).

I thought about doing this when mine was tiptronic but couldn't find any decent flappy bits to make it work properly. Then, as you're single, the auto box wouldn't last long either.

If you want to give it a bash, I still have my tiptronic box, ecu etc.

This is the wierd thing, I love the concept, quicker changes blah blah, it just sounded a bit wierd driving away.

i know exactly what you mean... it just doesnt sound right for some reason

i like the concept of it but i still much prefer a proper manual. Less things to go wrong