The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Induction kit in NA - is it worth it?

jonathanc

Hi all,

Just got my Sup from formatzero over the weekend and I am absolutely over the moon! Brilliant car in all aspects although I need to get used to the slower acceleration compared to my MR2 turbo :p

That aside, I was cleaning the engine bay and noticed that the stock filter is pretty dirty. I did a quick search in this site and found this thread :

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=87437

Seems that in an NA the stock system is the most effective one. Is this still correct? How about an aftermarket filter to replace the stock one, will that be better and if so, any recommendations?

My aim is to try to make the car a little bit more responsive on the acceleration. Bear in mind I am not after the same performance as the MR2 since I know the NA Auto has its limitations. I am just wondering if there's any cheap and simple way to make it more responsive.

Going to try to reset the ECU as well to see if that helps since I might have a different driving style.

Thank you for any advice offered. :)

A TRD or K&N replacement filter element would be about the only thing worth doing, though IMO it's still a waste of money. You'd acheive better gains by giving it a good service, replacing old O2 sensors, and concentrating on making the car perferm better (Well services brakes, suspension geo, decent tyre's, etc).

An ECU reset won't make any difference.

A TRD or K&N replacement filter element would be about the only thing worth doing, though IMO it's still a waste of money. You'd acheive better gains by giving it a good service, replacing old O2 sensors, and concentrating on making the car perferm better (Well services brakes, suspension geo, decent tyre's, etc).

An ECU reset won't make any difference.

Sound advice mate thanks :salute:

Resetting the ECU in my old two does make a slight difference to fueling and throttle response but I had a lot of mods in the two :p

I think its just recently serviced but I will replace the filter. It looks pretty knackered. Any recommendations? ;)

The car runs pretty sweet now and its very quite as well, really mint :D

But the revs climb to around 1.8k on cold starts though. I guess thats normal?

people will say stock is beter i carnt agree or disagree as mine didn`t come with the stock intake i put an apexi on mine as it got voted best for filtering in a test i am very happy with it

Well, by examining the stock box, the flow does look restrictive (and also very in the way of changing the H3 fog bulbs :p). The main issue raised is that aftermarket filters will suck in hot air and thus reduce performance. As its an NA I don't see much of that problem since most of the hot air will be on the manifold side far away. (Correct me if I am wrong though!)

The main issue raised is that aftermarket filters will suck in hot air and thus reduce performance. As its an NA I don't see much of that problem since most of the hot air will be on the manifold side far away. (Correct me if I am wrong though!)

You are wrong.

Sound advice mate thanks :salute:

Resetting the ECU in my old two does make a slight difference to fueling and throttle response but I had a lot of mods in the two :p

On a stock or near stock Supra it will make no difference

I think its just recently serviced but I will replace the filter. It looks pretty knackered. Any recommendations? ;)

TRD or K&N if you are flush, otherwsie the stock paper one is perfect for the job

But the revs climb to around 1.8k on cold starts though. I guess thats normal?

That's normal.

What about the suspension geo? Do you have aftermarkety wheels or suspension? What condition are the arms, bushes and ball joints in? This is where you can completely transform the cars peformance so it's a key thing to look at before moving onto engine mods.

You are wrong.

:thumbs:

Right, thanks for the tips :p Not very familiar with the Supras engine yet so I am still learning. Prolly going to get the original Toyota filter.

I'm not sure about the suspension geo. It doesn't seem to be lowered just 18" aftermarket wheels. Will get them tracked when I have the time ;)

I'm not sure about the suspension geo. It doesn't seem to be lowered just 18" aftermarket wheels. Will get them tracked when I have the time ;)

Unless the previous owner had a full geometry done then it won't be handling too nice without changes.

Tracking is not going to help, with any wheel size or suspension change it *must have* a full geometry configuration done. This needs to be a custom one matched to your car setup.

I don't know any places in Scotland that can do this but I am sure some of the more local members can recommend a company. There's a few I can recommend but they are in London and the West midlands only.

Unless the previous owner had a full geometry done then it won't be handling too nice without changes.

Tracking is not going to help, with any wheel size or suspension change it *must have* a full geometry configuration done. This needs to be a custom one matched to your car setup.

I don't know any places in Scotland that can do this but I am sure some of the more local members can recommend a company. There's a few I can recommend but they are in London and the West midlands only.

Hmmm, I know a local place but I think its 4 wheel tracking only. The previous owner is formatzero and before that Dr_blackman both from this forum ;) I will have a chat with them to see if any was done after the change to aftermarket wheels. The car drives ok now, but I do notice a very slight vibration felt at the steering wheel at highway speeds. 70-80-ish.

A decent exhaust manifold, decat pipe and freer flowing exhaust will free up a bit of power and make it feel a bit more responsive, but don't expect huge gains. As already said, keep the airbox with either stock, TRD or K&N panel filter, I'd also add Blitz panel filter to that list as they filter well and aren't silly money.

As Homer says making sure the car is well serviced to get the best out of the car. The NA's usually are fitted with the smaller 2pot/1pot brakes which can feel a bit inadequate, swapping to the larger 4pot/2pot brakes would be a good upgrade. Failing that investing in a good quality set of pads, braided stainless steel lines and decent fluid will help get the best out of the smaller brakes.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

A decent exhaust manifold, decat pipe and freer flowing exhaust will free up a bit of power and make it feel a bit more responsive, but don't expect huge gains. As already said, keep the airbox with either stock, TRD or K&N panel filter, I'd also add Blitz panel filter to that list as they filter well and aren't silly money.

As Homer says making sure the car is well serviced to get the best out of the car. The NA's usually are fitted with the smaller 2pot/1pot brakes which can feel a bit inadequate, swapping to the larger 4pot/2pot brakes would be a good upgrade. Failing that investing in a good quality set of pads, braided stainless steel lines and decent fluid will help get the best out of the smaller brakes.

Thanks for the advice mate. :thumbs:

The car came with Blitz Nur Spec R exhaust and also larger rear discs.

After all the advice given, I think I will leave the car just as she is and make sure she is well serviced. Will save up to buy a TT few years down the line for the performance ;)

Larger brakes on the back? Do you have any pics of front and rears so we can see what's fitted?

As Homer says getting the handling and braking spot on would be what I'd concentrate on, as it can absolutely transform the ride quality, grip and handling.

If you replace stock wheels with 18" wheels with tyres that give a very close rolling radius what will have changed in the alignment ie toe camber and caster?

Raising or lowering the car or replacing major suspension parts will need a proper geometry reset but is it necessary when just swapping wheels?

From the for-sale thread it already has had a full geo done, so that's a major bonus :) I don't know the last owner, but DR Blackman took really good care of that car judging by his posts on here. If all is in order there isn't a great deal you can do with the car unless you want to convert it to TT.

This is one of the examples of cars where I'd actually recommend it over selling and buying a TT. It's a late model NA and in a very nice colour and condition.

If you replace stock wheels with 18" wheels with tyres that give a very close rolling radius what will have changed in the alignment ie toe camber and caster?

Raising or lowering the car or replacing major suspension parts will need a proper geometry reset but is it necessary when just swapping wheels?

Swapping old tired suspension is always worthwhile, but as it's now been mentioned this is not such an old or tired one.

Regarding the wheel change, the diameter, tyre compliance, offset, etc will always be different so it needs a geometry setup to correct all that. We've both been through enough Supra's, wheels and suspension setups to know just how messed up things can get when a car isn't setup specifically for it's components.

From the for-sale thread it already has had a full geo done, so that's a major bonus :) I don't know the last owner, but DR Blackman took really good care of that car judging by his posts on here. If all is in order there isn't a great deal you can do with the car unless you want to convert it to TT.

This is one of the examples of cars where I'd actually recommend it over selling and buying a TT. It's a late model NA and in a very nice colour and condition.

Yes, of so many used Jap performance car I bought, I must say the condition of this is superb ;) A bonus would be the Carbing front strut and a Carbing rad fan that came with it as well. (not so sure about the fan though, it has carbing sticker on the casing)

I'm planning to convert to TT after maybe a year or two. Prolly go 6 speed (Getrag?) manual as well.

The auto is sweet now no complaints. I'm just looking for a comfortable cruiser after my MR2 and this fits the bill perfectly :D

Btw, just curious, how much will it cost (plus an estimate of labour) for a full TT conversion? Also how long will this normally take?

Thanks.

Edited by jonathanc (see edit history)

If you look through the paperwork with the car Jonathan you will see Dave had a full geo set up done,however i was going to have the tracking done as i think it.s slightly toe in,however where i live laser tracking is not available,but i think there is a place in Edinburgh.You will also see in the receipts when the car was serviced and milage since,air filter wasn't fitted last time around as garage said it wasn't needed,enjoy the car:)

If you look through the paperwork with the car Jonathan you will see Dave had a full geo set up done,however i was going to have the tracking done as i think it.s slightly toe in,however where i live laser tracking is not available,but i think there is a place in Edinburgh.You will also see in the receipts when the car was serviced and milage since,air filter wasn't fitted last time around as garage said it wasn't needed,enjoy the car:)

The man himself! :D It was a cracking car mate really love it! Just got the stereo installed as well. A bit tight on the boot space but I got everything in.

By the way, do you notice a wheel slightly vibrating at highway speeds? It's ok otherwise but when doing around 70+ I can feel slight vibrations from the wheel.