The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MR2 turbo or Supra TT

Guest hoff900

Guest hoff900

Hi there,

Im new to this site, but was wondering if anyone could give me an insight to the Supra, I currently own a MK2 mr2 turbo, and have been thinking swapping it for a Supra. Would i notice the power gain from the supra? Are the running costs heavy? Handling? etc. Any advice would be much Appreciated. Thanks

I've followed your path...

Supra is simply in a different league. Better power, more comforable, more practical, better handling, more thirsty if driven the same way - but it is an extra litre, 2 more cylinders and another turbo, plus around 350kg more.

I love mine!

also what sort of price range should i be looking at for a nice example?

I'd say around £9k will get you a mint TT6 (twin turbo 6 speed).

I came from MR2 turbos to Supras and believe me, johnny g has it bang on. As he said above, it's a different league.

Upgrade, sit back, and enjoy Toyota's best car to date.

Well a descent example would fetch about £6k - £10k or more depending on trim and if Auto or manual, UK or JSpec and level of mods.

I personaly would buy a Stock Supra TT and then do what you want to it (thats if you want to) so you know its done right, there are alot of low quality parts out there for the supra, and would hate to see you buy one and it fail a couple of months down the line, if you do buy one with mods then just run the mods past the people on here and they will say whether to steer clear etc.

My Wife has a MR2 Turbo and whilst it is a great car, very chuckable and really fun to drive, the supra is so so much better in all areas IMO and sounds better too, but then the supra is a bigger car and is a tad thirsty (ok pretty thirsty) on the spirited runs.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

also what sort of price range should i be looking at for a nice example?

There are a lot of privately sold cars that appear on ebay pistonheads or the autotrader that get snapped up by dealers and 2k added........I know thats 'the trade' but its rare IMO for us Joe public to get to see this and effectively get a chance to get a trade deal.

You can only go with what price = a good example when considering dealer prices (and then you have to be careful).

I would scour pistonheads and ebay daily and snap one of these good/mint trader cars at the price it was originally for sale.

two examples.........

Bronze/MSB 6 speed manual at R A Motors (was Rash on here) at £7950.

Originally on the trader at £6,250 ono.

Silver Facelift was on ebay £4895 BIN. (150377128332)

Now £7495 on Pistonheads http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1285925.htm

My point is these cars did not get better or worse in the few days it took to readvertise and so if you do your research and put some effort in looking and you should get a good car at a reasonable, possibly even a bargain price :)

Hi hoff (from IMOC?) as the others have already said the move from MR2 to Supra is a common one and a good move in general. It's certainly in a different league when it comes to outright performance but it's also quite a different league - an effortless one where some of the fun to be had from extracting those last few MPH in a low powered car is removed. The limits are higher, the grins come from illegal speeds, the delivery is smooth and relentless.

Are these good things? Generally yes but BPU upgrades add to the experience and take the car from being a good looking and fast GT car and take it up to another level. Do I miss my MR2? Heck yes. Do I regret selling it for the Supra? Not at all. Would I be happier if I had both cars? Absolutely.

I guess what I'm saying is that the Supra doesn't do everything the MR2 does for a driver but it does a lot of things an MR2 can't - it's not a straight upgrade, it's a shift to a different kind of motoring.

Drive as many as you can over a decent distance and see where you are after than initial wow factor settles down slightly (it takes many years for it to fade too much and is always there).

Good luck with your search.

Couldn't put it any better than Michael.

I was in the fortunate position of having both for a period of time. My Wife took on the MR2 while I went for a Supra.

The Supra is basically a civilised monster. It has all the grunt you could ever want, certainly in BPU form & above, but it is just so refined and smooth that its effortless to drive. The comfort levels are far higher and you don't feel like you are going to get burned everytime you push it a little.

That said, evertime I went for a run in the MR2 i just grinned from ear to ear at the rawness of it. I would have my Supra over the MR2 almost every day of the week. I wouldn't mind swapping for half a day though, just for the fear of death feeling. The response and driving experience is just something else in an MR2 Tubby. It is a true drivers car IMO and don't let the MK1 owners tell it any different..

Like myself, Michael and some of the other guys, if you change to the Supra, you will miss your MR2. You won't regret it though.

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

I'm currently heading the same way, just trying to sell the MR2 turbo!!

Mine is a hell of a lot of fun, raw and fast but the supra is a different league all together.

effortless power.

all i have to do is find someone local with a manual and auto who will take me out for a few mins in exchange for some £££. :D

• 2 years later...
Guest hoff900

After buying my first flat and suffering lack of funds, I am now back on the conquest of changing the mr2 for another car. I've Had a couple of cars run through my thoughts i.e BWM 330ci's, E36 M3's Ect...however my mind has always wanders back to the supra, and after hours looking through the adverts for TT for sale and getting excited until i look at the price and have my dreams crushed, I have considered maybe going of a N/A and if I feel the need later doing a tt upgrade. Can anyone advise if this is a good or bad idea? Will I straight away miss the power of the mr2, or are they equal in power? Thanks in advanced