The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hey

Guest Ryan0594

Guest Ryan0594
Hey I've just joined the forum. Been a fan of the Toyota Supra since as far as I can remember and plan to get one when I turn 17.
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_cool.gif
:)

I'm 15 and a few months, hopefully I'll be able to get one and this forum might help. :)

We won't be giving you any money but you should get plenty of advice if you are serious, probably wise to save up another £10k for insurance though :)

Note to the authorities: I'm being helpful, not grooming him.

Guest Ryan0594

£10,000? Wow, I was only thinking £5,000... Guess I should start saving now then, eh? And yeah actually I couldn't be more serious. :p This forum could help me with such things as: finding one, which one to get, what to look for, etc. Honestly you guys know so much more than me about this car (and most probably cars in general).

Guest Ryan0594

Insurance is what I've worried about. :S

The last thing I'd do if I got a Supra is drive it recklessly though, I'd probably value it more than life itself. :p Maybe I could get one a keep it off the road for a few years whilst I drive a Ford Ka or something, hehe. XD

Insurance is what I've worried about. :S

The last thing I'd do if I got a Supra is drive it recklessly though, I'd probably value it more than life itself. :p Maybe I could get one a keep it off the road for a few years whilst I drive a Ford Ka or something, hehe. XD

Probably much more sensible to stick with the Ka for a year or two and then buy the Supra if you can, I was 15 once though, I appreciate this will sound ridiculous to you :)

I'd rather walk than drive in a Ka though. :p

Maybe if I get one at say 19, will that make much of a difference?

19 sound more realistic. There are quite a few owners that age on here. Might be a good idea to get a bit of rear wheel drive experience in a less powerful car before you get a Supra. They can sometime catch out the most experienced of drivers.

Off-topic: So they're hard to drive?

Not really. It's just if you don't know what your doing and you push it too hard in the wet you can very quickly find yourself in a ditch or up a tree. I had a couple of scares when I first had mine as I'm sure most owners have..

i thaught the same as you when i had just passed my test. The first car i ever drove appart from my tutor's car was my mums 1.4, gold, auto, yarris. Still was a good fun drive though :) learnt a lot. even when i put a dent in the bumper the first time i took it out on my own. then i got my own clio for 3 or so years. which was great. then i made the jump to a NA supra. Best thing i ever did. And had quite a few scares in it. IMO you shold be playing the long game. get your eye in first with a little car untill you have learned some roadsense for a few years.

Also paying for a car like a clio or whatever when it comes to a service isnt too bad. But a supra. the tax is a lot more for a start. And tires cost a fortune. So does petrol! and then any parts that go wrong although not hard to find can be expensive. A new active spoiler from toyota for example (just the plastic bit not the motors) is over £400, a new glass headlight its arround £300 i think. Its also going to need oil and things much more often than something like a ka that can probably do a billion miles before a change.

And i havent even started on insurance. As i mentioned on another thread this morning, I did a compare the market quote for my UK TT with bpu mods and a few others. only 1 of the listed companies would insure me. And that was for £9999! and im 27 with 4-5 years no claims. The monthly installments were more than what im currently paying for a whole year!

Dont forget the supra is group 18 or 19 i think. The only things more expensive are propper super/hyper cars.

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)