The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Chrome rings from 'the tuning shop'

Jamesy

Just wondered who has fitted these to the dials?

Ive just tried to fit the facelift 5 rings to the speedo cluster. The 3 small ones press on great, but the 2 big ones for speed and rev counter wont go on.

I know your meant to bend the back with a pen etc but that just makes them a mess and still dont fit. When u try to press them off they just pop straight off as soon as u let go. Doing my nut.

Anyone else had any joy fitting them?

They are a pain mate, only ones I had problems with too, best adive IS to curve the back edge with a pen/lighter etc. you have to apply firm, even pressure accross the full surface of each ring, they WILL go on, I thought I was going to break something before it clicked in, failing that you could add a tiny dab of araldite ;)

Thanx mate are yours from them?

The speedo one doesnt seem to line up right as the dash is very shallow on the speedo surround. I pushed it really hard then let go and it flew off.

I even tried to cut away the back lip so i could stick it on but that didnt work.

The 3 little ones went on in 2mins but they have a straight edge onthe dash whereas the 2 big dials have a sloped edge so cant see how they can ever click at all :blink:

I know mate! Yeah they are, the only one I don't have is the clock surround, no point as I don't have a clock anymore :p

The only thing I can suggest is that you sand the lip off the back completely and glue it on.

I scored for an extra ring as when I ordered the cigarette lighter and mirror switch rings he sent me the wrong ones, he never asked for them back when he sent the correct ones so I have one spare ring (i think for the cigarette lighter) and the other random sized one I sanded the back off with a random orbit sander with something like a 180 grit disc on it, once it's flat glue it in place ;)

Is your dash stock or painted? Just wondering as they tend to fit better if the dash hasn't had the gunk sanded of for painting. I fitted some to a TT with a painted dash and it was harder than the stock dash.

hi mate yeah my dash has been sprayed black.

Mine don't fit either. I used std Toyota ones from whifbitz for the large ones and the aluminium ones for the 3 small ones...

cheers mark. So does paul do the chrome ones then?

I was going to buy the rest from the tuning shop for air vents and heater knobs etc but not sure now!!

Is your dash stock or painted? Just wondering as they tend to fit better if the dash hasn't had the gunk sanded of for painting. I fitted some to a TT with a painted dash and it was harder than the stock dash.

He has a facelift so no gunk is there.

Glad i didn't try it on with the main ones now bud. Sorry your having so much hassle :blink:

i bought the whole set a while ago from the same guys.

fitted nicely althought i did need to make do the "pen" trick a few times , but they fitted spot on , they even gave me a free ring when i asked :D

i gave them a picture of my dash through email and they gave me a free mirror switch ring :)

fitted nicely althought i did need to make do the "pen" trick a few times , but they fitted spot on , they even gave me a free ring when i asked :D

i gave them a picture of my dash through email and they gave me a free mirror switch ring :)

Good work mate, but i am jealous!!

When i tried the pen trick all it did was dent the lip it wasn't smooth at all.

There is no way the big ones will just 'clip' in to mine

Just done the exact same thing :cool:

OK right looking at their fitting video, below, when he uses that screwdriver/pen to slightly alter the shape of the lip, it seems to move REALLY easy...is it heated up first?

mine were ROCK solid, so much so that i used a pen and it literally has loads of ripples and dents whereive had to press so hard to get it to move??