The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Now why would anybody do this?

edinlexusV8

It's part of the American equivalent of the car scrappage scheme.

Once a car has been given over to the scheme, it has to be put beyond use. Usually they put some water into the oil, drain the coolant from the radiator and then do this until it siezes.

My mechanical sympathy gland goes into overdrive whan I watch these!

It's known as 'Cash for Clunkers'.

The whole point is to get RID of older cars and replace them with newer ones.

It's got nothing to do with arrogance! The law says they have to be destroyed, so they're doing their job.

Take a look around youtube using the search term 'cash for clunkers' - there's probably hundreds of similar vids.

What happens for our scrappage scheme?

They get crushed. There was a four page spread in Autocar a few weeks back showing you some of the cars that are shamefully being put to waste. Like a 1997 fiat Brava with 1400 miles on it and as new condition, and an E320 with only 82K and perfectly serviceable but law states they have to be crushed. These would have been of use to someone I'm sure. Green my a*&e, It would be more environmentally friendly to keep some of these cars on the road seeing the main part of CO2 emissions comes from the manufacturing of new cars ;)

Correct me if I am wrong folks,

JZA80 is UK spec toyota supra model and this model has two engines

Non turbo - 2JZ-GE (same as J-Spec?)

Twin Turbo - 2JZ-GTE

JZA80 is for all mkiv Supra's not just UK Spec. The UK spec's didn't come in non-turbo so they are all 2JZ-GTE's engines.

Correct me if I am wrong folks,

JZA80 is UK spec toyota supra model and this model has two engines

Non turbo - 2JZ-GE (same as J-Spec?)

Twin Turbo - 2JZ-GTE

JZA80 is the model code for ALL mkIV Supras, not just the UK spec. The J-Spec are also JZA80s :)

The non turbo engine (code 2JZ-GE) is NOT anything to do with the UK spec. All UK spec Supras were twin turbos and had the 2JZ-GTE code :)

The J-Specs had both the 2JZ-GE and 2JZ-GTE engines depending which car you bought :)