Stock boost levels?

95SupraTT

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I need alot of help with alot of things.. I know diddly squat about the car !!.. I ran 15.1 with it.. And i got so depressed lol... I cant launch it.. Its auto.. Fitz i believe told me to just punch it off the line.. Or brake boost.. But i tried them both without success.. So im thinking i have something wrong.. And also i looked under the car and the oil pan location looks like its leaking..

I dont think so..i bought the car literally two weeks ago.. It has a hks super drager exhaust... But when you look under i dont see any cats...

Ok i would check between the first two sections of the exhaust if you have a 1.2bar restrictor ring fitted without this your turbos could spool up to 1.6bar and literaly blow up this ring provides sufficient back pressure to hold your boost to a safe level. I would check before using a boost controller to raise your boost levels above stock 0.8.

Will dooo thanx man.. And i am installing one tomorrow.. You saved me a couple of grand

You may want to check if the car has an after market fuel pump too walbero is a decent make. More boost equals more fuel needed mate use the search button on here and do a search for bpu it has a list of all your necessary modifications needed for running 1.2bar safely.

Wabero fuel pump

colder grade spark plugs

double de-cat pipes

restrictor ring 1.2bar in size

a good induction kit (not hks there crap)

boost controller some supras will run higher boost on their own without this but some need a little help.

boost gauge & air/fuel gauge.

fcd (fuel cut defender)

I may have missed something so check out bpu using the search button theres a guide there to help.

All the best. Nic will know better than me hes a world of knowledge mate.

Edited by tony tt (see edit history)

So far the car has a hks super drager..im pretty sure no cats.. Hks bov.. It has a greddy boost, exh temp and oil pres gauge.. So maybe itll be running a bit higher than 0.8? So all i will need is a boost controller (with 1.2 restrictor) plus.. Walbro fuel pump and a intake?.. And thats it.. Thatll be bpu level???

So far the car has a hks super drager..im pretty sure no cats.. Hks bov.. It has a greddy boost, exh temp and oil pres gauge.. So maybe itll be running a bit higher than 0.8? So all i will need is a boost controller (with 1.2 restrictor) plus.. Walbro fuel pump and a intake?.. And thats it.. Thatll be bpu level???

Click on the bpu part mate it should be here in blue it will take you to a thread that will provide all you need to do for raising your boost to 1.2bar mate.

Well i just read that great article you gave me for bpu.. And according to that guide i wont have to worry about the restrictor ring.. And it said j-spec turbos cant withstand boost as good as us/uk .. It said 1.4 is possible,, but its pushing it..

1.4bar is possible on uk turbos not j spec mate its not recommended to push them to 1.4! Im not sure what the difference is on a u.s spec supra mate i hope someone can clarify that first.

If the first cat is there.. How would i go about getting it removed.. And will i pass emissions inspection?.. And if i leave it,, can i not go bpu?.. Nice vids .. Heres my supra doing horrible .. I race first.. And then a couple races again.. Couldnt launch for shit.. Ran 15.1 both runs..

Ok forget about the restrictor ring in that case, they are only needed on JDM Supras. The US Supra has different turbos to the JDM so raising the boost is a little different.

Does the car still have the 2 catalytic convertors fitted? If you're not sure have a look under the car, pic below shows the first small cat. and the second longer cat. The 1st cat. is located closest to the engine, the 2nd cat runs under the front section of the car.

The cats, especially the 1st one, are very restrictive, upping the boost with the cats in place will generate high exhaust temperature that could potentially be damaging to the engine. A common modification is to replace 1 or both of the cats with a straight through pipe, known as a 'de-cat' pipe(s). You can either replace each cat with a separate decat pipe or replace both with one decat pipe. Note you will need decat pipes specifically for the US Supra, the JDM ones are a different fit.

The stock boost is around 0.8bar/11.6psi, to raise this you will need a boost controller (either mechanical or electronic). A generally accepted safe boost pressure to raise to is around 1.2bar/17.5psi.

The stock ECU (engine control unit) has a safety feature that will cut fuel to the engine if it sees over 1bar/14.5psi, to get around this you will need to fit a FCD (Fuel Cut Defencer) this is wired into the ECU to fool it so it doesn't cut the fuel.

You will also need a set of cooler grade plugs and some way of monitoring boost levels, this can either be with an electronic boost controller or a boost gauge.

Have a read of this thread it explains in more detail.

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=94705

Anyway have a check on whether it still has the cats fitted and we can take it from there.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)