The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK SPEC transponder keys

far

Can anyone tell me when UK specs started having transponders on there key sets ?

I know 93 UK spec cars dont have a transponder - JUST A PLAIN KEY

Are there any UK owners out there with a transponder / alarm / immoboliser built into your key - if so what year is it ?

Thanks in advance

I know Paul Laing has got a 96 car so I trust thats got a transponder

Thanks in advance

F A R

:thumbs:

Originally posted by mawby

Even more to the point, why are we asking the question in the first place?

Avery very long story,basically Royal Mail lost mine when I sent them to the insurers - they are covered for £500 so I am looking to get toyota to send me an invoice for some to recoup the lost ones (even though it doesnt matter as I dont have the supe no more)

If anyone else can suggest something that was "in" the parcel which I sent to the insurers which toyota sell (must be small light item like keys etc... but expensive) please please tell me because im running out of ideas !

Or even a toyota which has transponder keys - but consider I will need the chassis number and model code before they release any paperwork to me. :thumbs:

I can almost guarantee, Supra's never came fitted with transponder keys. I think John, (Foodfreak), has a 2000 model and that certainly doesn't have a transponder.

Just to clear up any confusion, a transponder equipped key doesn't actually do anything. It passively disarms a built in immobiliser as you switch on the cars ignition.

Originally posted by Matt Harwood

I can almost guarantee, Supra's never came fitted with transponder keys. I think John, (Foodfreak), has a 2000 model and that certainly doesn't have a transponder.

Just to clear up any confusion, a transponder equipped key doesn't actually do anything. It passively disarms a built in immobiliser as you switch on the cars ignition.

Well, Faye's deffo does remote central locking. Whether that's a transponder or not though...

Originally posted by Ashley Willis

Both my Supes, I can lock the doors by a button on the key, and unlock, but this wont arm the alarm, to do that I use the spearate key fob for the alarm which alarms and locks.

Is this a transponder......(sounds like something out of Star-trek) :D

Nope. Supra's don't have transponders!

A transponder is something that's built into the plastic part of the ignition key. You don't actually DO anything with a transponder, it's all automated.

Transponders on cars are generally only immobilisers, (99%). As the key is switched to the ignition position, a signal is sent out from the car's electronics, and it wait's for a reply from the transponder unit before it will allow the car to start. This takes a cou[ple of nano-seconds so generally you would never even know it was there. If the transponder signal doesn't get back to the car, (wrong key, or a hot wire attempt), the car simply won't start.

So, just to clarify... Supra's don't have transponders :)