The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake disc cooling

jevansio

I've got UK discs on my J-Spec and therefore have cut away that metal shield thing on the hub. Is there any point in fitting something along the lines of these ducts with some tube to somewhere like the front bumper ducts or could I just as easily mess up whatever brake cooling Toyota has?

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=MSD42114

A similar stock setup on a Lambo & 911

http://www.lamboweb.com/Repairs_Section/Diablo_Repairs_Brake_Air_Ducts.htm

http://p-car.com/diy/coolingduct/

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)

id personaly say that the method above would be alot more practical than stock. Definatly a good upgrade!

The dust shields you have cut off dont do much in the ways of actualy ducting air at the discs themselves, and with them cut there more or less useless.

I am assuming the air leaves from the centre outwards through the vanes, if so then directing some more air into the centre should be good, however if the vanes pull air in and push it out through the back then forcing air into its path isnt going to work.

Surely the latter function would be silly as that would potentially throw hot air onto the bearing which cant be good.

Anyone know for sure?

Pretty sure I've just seen a pic showing the direction of air as entering at the centre & exiting out the disc edges on here (was a post by CW on direction of disc installation)

Lots of cars seem to have OEM brake ducting, & lots of aftermarket kits for sale for other makes, I'm guessing this could be a good upgrade to the braking of a stock UK spec setup

Definitely from the center out for the air. I like the look of the attached pics. Surely it would be better to have the intake scoop working from underneath the car though?

I reckon you could make something up that would be much better. Have it going the entire width of the arch liner and hanging down an inch. Then have it looping as it is in the pics to avoid the wheel/tyre.

FWIW my wheels would definitely foul on those. They would need to be bespoke.

Looks that way mate. The spinning disc would be getting a nice uninterrupted stream of cool air instead of the normal turbulent flow.

Of course, you have to work out if the unit will direct the flow to the same place on your car.

I don't think there'll be much in it. 299 bucks is a fair 'ol wedge though.

I was thinking of using the vents in either my front bumper (red), or I think the vents in my RMM lip are intended to be brake duct vents according to things I've seen on the Corvette forum (blue)

I already have the vents and piping to mount behind the same lip (blue area) but never got round to doing it as I done have a decent method for directing the air at the back of the disc :(