The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Slip n sliding in the wet .....

Jamesy

.... now i know if you accelerate round a corner in the wet in a high powered RWD car you are going to soon be seeing your ass alongside you.

However whats the deal with sliding in the wet, going round a corner completely off throttle?

Happened this morning, only a bit as was going slow but made me wondered if its just becasuse it is a heavy old car so loses some grip?

The tyres are very good and loads of tread left.

Anyone else get some sliding in the wet off throttle? :)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How big are your alloy wheels? have you renewed any of the suspension components recently or are they aged?

I have slid in the wet when off power but then i was going too fast for the bend and was braking hard when going around it (was quite a while ago now)

Oh dont forget if it hasn't rained for a bit then the roads will be a bit greasy.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

How big are your alloy wheels? have you renewed any of the suspension components recently or are they aged?

I have slid in the wet when off power but then i was going too fast for the bend and was braking hard when going around the it (his was quite a while ago now)

Oh dont forget if it hasn't rained for a bit then the roads will be a bit greasy.

yeah was thinking (hoping) it was just a greasy road .... i was only doing about 20mph round a roundabout toally off throttle.

wheels are 18x8.5j and 18x10j - no changed suspension at all but they are uprated and seem in vgc :)

Should be ok with them. I find that 3 mm is about the minimum then she slips and slides a fair bit. If it doesn't hapen again I would put it down to greasy roads/diesel spill. If it happens again then time to get your suspension checked out

I would say either diesel, or the fact that its the first bit of rain we have had for a while and the oil and muck has been sitting in the dry road just waiting for a bit of rain to wash it away....oh and nice big fat tyre to give it a hand;)

Be careful i nearly totalled mine car last time it rained...not funny when it happens in an auto[sHOCK][/sHOCK]

Lift off oversteer? Happens a lot in the MR2. If you are going a little to fast in the wet and decide to let off the throttle the weight of the car will shunt forwards and the back end will slide out if you are turning. This is basically the only way to get the back end out in FWD cars. Some RWD cars are more effected than others (MR2 is a nightmare for it). If you weren't expecting it it really can catch you off guard.

Throttle control is VERY important with these cars in these conditions. Steady throttle round corners is always best, don't just lift off as you will unbalance the car.

cheers guys

yeah scott that sounds like what it was - i had a feeling it would slide so just took it easy and hey presto off i went !!!

i quite like the rain though as it gives me a chance to (on a private road) practise my terrible difting skills :D

Happened to me doing 20mph round a large roundabout, which is why i completely point blank refuse to drive the TT in the rain, having 315's on the rear doesnt help i guess :D

Take it very easy and be careful, i dont like reading that a car has been written off or that there has been a fatality :(

Guest bennyessex

Mine does it all the time, theres a particualr round about which I call "the roundabout of doom" which seems to be such low grip. I spun my old sup and wacked the curb there doing little more then 20mph... Bad times

My new one with the massive rims is shite in the wet. I have heard its to do with weigh distribution etc etc. Good fun in an empty car park though

Happened to me in a straight line in the rain, I dropped down a gear, the 2nd turbo kicked in and I found myself nearly sideways. I have a theory.... I think it may because of the standard diff, when one wheel starts to spin it carries on spinning where as the other wheel doesn't, which causes the car to turn from the back end. When its wet, it's obviously much easier to loose traction on one wheel.

Happened to me in a straight line in the rain, I dropped down a gear, the 2nd turbo kicked in and I found myself nearly sideways. I have a theory.... I think it may because of the standard diff, when one wheel starts to spin it carries on spinning where as the other wheel doesn't, which causes the car to turn from the back end. When its wet, it's obviously much easier to loose traction on one wheel.

Yeh similar happend to me, as traction returns to the wheel in question it pushs the side over, thus nearly spinning it.

Also the stock TC causes mine to twitch if it comes on shapish.

Like Scott says, completely off throttle can be as bad as pedal down if it means you are decelerating too hard. All the weight shifts to the front and you lose grip at the back: lift-off oversteer.

To get used to the handling of a car, you should be aiming to practice cornering at "throttle neutral" like Terminator says - ie. with enough foot in to ensure the car is neither accelerating nor decelerating. That will get you used to how the car behaves as you push the grip.

Only when you've got used to that can you start playing more with use of the throttle to control the car in corners.

I suggest practising at a skid pan session first!

To get used to the handling of a car, you should be aiming to practice cornering at "throttle neutral" like Terminator says - ie. with enough foot in to ensure the car is neither accelerating nor decelerating.

I know exactly what you are saying, but technically if you are cornering you are accelerating, even if you keep to a constant speed.

Im a bit puzzled.

Had all tyres checked out, all fine. All at 34psi.

Had bloke at tyre place take car out said no bangs or rattles to indicate track rods,wishbone , suspension damage etc. Even checked inside the wheel arch and said suspension seems fine ......

But i cannot get any bloody grip in the wet. Going any speed as soon as i take a corner its not really gripping.

Im not being a drama queen but feels like driving on ice.

Just taken the wifes seat altea out and it grips fine.

Wtf???