The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supra NA front callipers help?

Guest George89

Guest George89

Hi i just bought my first Supra 1996 its a non turbo and i aint sure if i have 2 piston or 4 piston callipers at the front because i need to get new pads. Also my ABS doesn't work is their any reason for this plus i think traction control is off because i can easily wheel spin the car if i go full power

I attached a picture of my calliper.

http://purehotgames.com/sss.jpg

Guest George89

i read somewhere they have traction control. i aint sure tho someone please confirm.

Thank you for the infomation on the callipers do you know where i can get disc and pads for the na supra as most sites i can only find TT brakes disc and pads

i read somewhere they have traction control. i aint sure tho someone please confirm.

If you have traction control you will have a TRAC button under the stereo, you will also have TRAC warning light on rhs of the dash.

Thank you for the infomation on the callipers do you know where i can get disc and pads for the na supra as most sites i can only find TT brakes disc and pads

TRD do pads for 4pot/2pot and 2pot/1pot brakes.

Guest Budz86

I've just re-done the brakes on mine and I went with Toyota OEM disc's and Chris Wilson fast road pads, with steel lines and new fluid. Makes a big difference.

Pretty much the best option out there for the NA brakes. If you feel you need more stopping power, an upgrade to the larger UK spec's will be needed :)

Would be easier to sell yours and buy a supra with ABS if you really wanted it!

I've been speaking with a few traders/ mods on the forum about having a supra with abs due to me wanting to go NA-TT soon and possibly single down the line, a mod said that for a stock TT a good set of j-specs with braided lines and fast road pads would be ok, but if your looking at going for bigger power then uk spec brakes, they didnt feel the need to swap for a supra with ABS!

As for the traction control I asked the same mod whether or not he would change to a supra with traction control and he said " Are you calling me a pussy?" :D

... the j spec 2 pots are pants

Are they really? I can lock up my Potenza S0-3s with one jab of the pedal, so if I can exceed the traction of some quite soft tyres I find the brakes to be working fine.

If people are experiencing brake fade or boiling fluid while driving on the road, perhaps they should look more to their driving style.

any brakes can lock thats part of the problem a good brake should distribute even pressure around the disc whilst allowing the disc to dispurse heat to efficiently slow the car. a locked wheel isnt going to slow the car well atall. no rotaion = no grip = new front end or premature funeral