The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspension Arm Nackered

Amir khan

Hi guys,

Been of the forum for a while with work. But need some help with a few small things to get my car back on the road. So you'l probably see a few posts started by me

This one is about the upper suspension arm, according to a mechanic who i was getting to change my hubs and bearings, the upper suspension arm needs changing because the ball joint is worn.

My question are, after doing some research are:

1. I can find replacement bushes which should be enough to solve the problem (right?), but i cant find anywhere to purchase the ball joints from. can anyone help?

2. What can i do to physically check the bushes and ball joint as I have never had to replace them im unsure as what they should look like.

3.Is it worth me changing all the rear bushes with a kit from whiftbitz while the rear is getting worked on?

4. while this is getting done how much extra should I look to getting the hubs and bearing changed, as I assume they cant be that hard when everything is out.

Thanks in advance!

The ball joints are not available seperately, you need to replace the whole arm. They are quite expensive.

You can of course replace other suspension components at the same time, but have a look at the cost before thinking too far about it, the parts are all expensive.

Have a look on the Whifbitz website for the prices of genuine Toyota replacements, they tend to be a fair saving over going direct to Toyota.

1. The ball joints are part of the arm, so can't be sourced seperately. Speak to Steve Manley or one of the traders on here for best prices (they're not cheap though).

2. Bushes vary in size and shape. Worn bushes tend to be cracked and go hard over years of abuse. Ask whoever is doing the work to have a gander at the bushes and get their thoughts on them.

3. Yes, though people like JamieP have had replacement bush sets fitted and not been happy with them and the feel of the car, IIRC Jamie said the stock bushes feel better than aftermarket ones.

4. Again, speak to the mechanic doing the work, they will certainly be easier to do if components relating to them are being removed as part of an existing job.

Good luck mate.

Edit, beaten to it :D

Front or rear upper arm? The bushes are an integral part of the arm so you'll need to buy a complete arm.

I'd personally replace with OEM parts, as the stock suspension arms use spherical bearings rather than simple bushes. Ideally I'd replace the lot as the rest of the suspension is probably similarly tired, not a cheap job, but it will completely transform the handling and grip. See this thread http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=119349

Workshop manual here should help: http://www.turbosupras.com/pdfs/JZA80%20TSRM/SA.pdf

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/6692/frontsuspensionepc.jpg http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/6779/rearsuspensionepc.jpg

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Thanks for the help people.

So it looks like il have to source two new upper suspension arms, probably for around the 100 mark if im lucky. As I cant get a new ball joint.

As for getting the car to feel fresh again, what are the main parts I should look to replacing? lower suspension arms? tie rods?

As for the bush kits, they are useful to replace the old bushes on an arm with a good ball joint is that correct?

So should I look towards getting used parts of a supra in good nic, or replacing the bushes with a new kit, anyone have any experience in this?

again thanks for the help!

i might be able to get the ball joints replaced on the arms,will know by the end of the week.the arms are stupidly expensive.once i know will be putting up a post all helps to keep those running costs down a bit.

Good luck with it mate. Are you going to be putting the arms on your car afterwards to road test them?