The mkiv Supra Owners Club

dilemma

Kirk

Ok heres the dilemma, theres an R154 box available to me and now a w58 conversion has just showed up, now I dont know which way to swing here, i am looking at going turbo in bout a year or 2, funds permitted, on 1 hand i have a full drop in conversion but isnt future proof and on the other i can have something which is future proof BUT needs a bit of modification to fit. It will be used mainly as a weekend/trackday car.

I know not alot of people dont know all that much about the old 5 speeds out of the Mk3s and soarers etc and you definatly dont see many on mkiv's this side of the pond with these due to the modification side of things but they are highly rated stateside as an alternative to the 6 speed. They rate them from anywhere between 500-700hp but they have 1 main problem which is the 1st gear thrust washer tends to go wrong quite fast if abused or used hard all the time but there is a reasonably cheap fix available. Now do i take the plunge and go all out now or do i try for the w58

Input fellas? :shrug:

Edited by Kirk (see edit history)

already sourcing 1jz bell housing jay, also sourcing slave and front half of prop also :) The only thing which is annoying me is the whole shifter extension issue. Theres only 1 place i know who do them but there $350. Theres apparently cheaper alternatives which im still looking into. Think if i invest now im saving the hassle in the future but its hard to ignore a full drop in.

Hmmmmmm :think:

see i keep telling myself that but trying to find another r154 for the price i have is very difficult but again i have no idea what the box would be like with an NA engine.

ARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH! :banghead:

also depending on price of the drop in aswel. I can see it getting silly but we will see

Fifth gear on the R154 would be slightly taller than that on the W58. If you do alot of motorway driving it may be an advantage when you go turbo.

But for now if you fit the R154 your car may tend to stall in a strong headwind!

Other than that I can see there being much difference between them, driving-wise.

Fifth gear on the R154 would be slightly taller than that on the W58. If you do alot of motorway driving it may be an advantage when you go turbo.

But for now if you fit the R154 your car may tend to stall in a strong headwind!

Other than that I can see there being much difference between them, driving-wise.

well oviously the box is a bit more industrial in comparison to the w58 but that doesnt bother me.

Motorway driving is a given, surely it wont be that bad on long hauls :shrug:

Six-speed every time.

five-speed is just :limp:

Hope that helps :thumbs:

i bet you have NO idea what a R154 is do you :p

well oviously the box is a bit more industrial in comparison to the w58 but that doesnt bother me.

Motorway driving is a given, surely it wont be that bad on long hauls :shrug:

The difference is minimal so I doubt you'll even notice it mate, I was just teasing.

Is there nothing that can be done to the W58 to strengthen it?

Apart from a £6,000 gear set of course. Or is it the actual casing that is the weak point?

If you are staying close to standard torque levels when you do go turbo is there any need to worry in the first place?

These are not rhetorical questions by the way!!

strengthening the w58 would be useless excercise.. The R154 is a perfect replacement for high horses which is what i will be shooting for. There rated from anywhere between 500- 700 but like i said before the only weakness is the 1st gear thrust washer tends to fail when abused turning the 1st gear into a floating gear which is not good but the fix for it is cheap.... I think im pretty sure now which way to go, plus i like being different :D

i stand corrected.. your not so dim afterall :p

I'm like a shining beacon of technical excellence. You may call upon me for your future solutions-requirements. :D

Here's a free gem of insight for you - since you're a self-professed track addict, you won't be using first gear hard very often unless you go over to the other side and get into drag, in which case any technical decision you make now will be invalidated anyway, regarding gearboxes, suspension, and all sorts of other stuff.

£300 ohhh :( wait wheres my surround sir! :p

Yeah, I knew you'd bring that up!

I have it parcelled since saturday mate (along with everything else that is sold).

I've just been too busy in work today and yesterday to get to the post office. (and the courier for the bigger stuff)

All going well it'll be off to you tomorrow.

Future proof it now dude, I wont be helping you fit no W58 so that sort of slims your options down :D

well i guess that settles it then :D

Yeah, I knew you'd bring that up!

I have it parcelled since saturday mate (along with everything else that is sold).

I've just been too busy in work today and yesterday to get to the post office. (and the courier for the bigger stuff)

All going well it'll be off to you tomorrow.

ill let you off then ;)