The mkiv Supra Owners Club

230 miles per tank....normal....?

kill1308

Hey all,

Recently put £71 in my BPU Supra TT (99RON) and I decided to see how many miles I could get out of a tank with careful driving. Well, 230 is what I got.

Now unless I'm incredibly stupid (which is highly likely), that works out to be about 16miles to the gallon driving carefully?

Does that seem right? I'm not overly concerned if that seems about right, but it seems low to me and I don't want to be throwing money away if something is amiss.

I did a quick search to see what other TT owners got out of their tanks, but couldn't see anything.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would do the same thing for a couple of tanks. If it really is that low and you don't have a lead foot, it may be worth getting you O2 sensor checked.

Thanks Terminator, that's the kind of advice I was looking for :)

I don't have a lead foot and drive around fairly carefully most of the time, didn't drive hard at all on this tankful.

I'll do another couple the same and see how I get on thanks. Could the O2 sensor screw up the MPG that much then?

With my UK TT6 with normal driving, including cruising a little over the limit and the odd burst of hyperspeed, I normally get 320-340miles per tank. Normally around the 70ish litre fill up too.

I'd check the O2 sensor, there is a way to do a rudimentary check using a volt meter, a quick search on here should find it.

Could the O2 sensor screw up the MPG that much then?

Yes if the oxygen sensor(s) (J-spec TT = 1pc, UK TT = 2pcs, NA = 2pcs) are duff the ECU defaults to a rich mixture for safety, this has a BIG effect on fuel economy and emissions.

O2 sensors only have a certain life and should be renewed every few years.

I have a stock UK TT and I got from Aberdeen > Notts (About 400/420miles) on 1 tank of Vpower with cruise set to 70mph with the odd burst to over twice that. A full tank on mine was around £89. With 'normal' use tend to get between 18mpg-24mpg. If I drove carefully or harder then this would rise/fall accordingly.

Also, do the Imports and UK spec cars have the same size fuel tanks? if not then this is something to take into consideration.

Fwiw, generally with previous cars that have seemed to run fine but just take a lot of fuel I have found the causes to be the following;

- perished fuel injector o-rings and fouled injectors

- ageing 02 sensors

- faulty MAF sensor

- faulty camshaft sensor(s)

Yeah most of my journeys aren't particularly long to be honest, I'm sure that's probably not helping things. I'll test this out properly on some longer journeys and see if it improves a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I never expected good fuel economy when buying the Supra :) Just didn't want to be throwing money away for no reason if something was wrong. I'll do a bit more research and testing ;)

Thanks again people :)

Its easier to average your mpg over longer periods of time than say, just a tank full, but this only gives you an average mpg for average use of the car.

If you want to get a better idea of mpg at certain conditions (town driving, or motorway driving etc) all you can do is fill the tank up full, then run for say, 100 miles at whatever conditions you want to test and fill the tank full again and calculate mpg over that 100 miles using the amount of fuel you put back in.

I've done this several times (before and after a new O2 sensor for instance) just to see if my mpg has been affected.

I've just looked at my fuel useage history, and for each year of the six years I've owned my TT, I've averaged around 19mpg over the year. Lowest ever over 100 miles was 15, highest ever over 100 miles was 29. Town driving I average about 20 mpg.

I only just measured my mpg this week on my tt6, i put 59 litres of V-Power in and got 320 miles out of it which works out to be about 24/25 mpg going by your calculations, and that was mostly motorway but a few short journeys also...so as mentioned something is not really right mate!