The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Import Auctions....

attilauk

has anyone here bought a car direct from a uk import auction?

my old man is thinking about getting something cheap, fun and chuckable and went down to the auction in Portbury Docks (Bristol) for a look. He was amazed at what you could pick up, how about a 96' FTO GPX Manual with 66k on the clock for £2500 or a 94' GT4 with 77k on the clock for £2700! i know you can't really be sure what you are getting but you can do as much crawling around the car as you like before it comes under the hammer.

oh btw my dad asked one of the guys who work there about manual TT supras and he said they dont usually go above £5k:eek: its gotta be worth a thought hasn't it?

Put it this way - next time there's one down there, give me a shout!

Are they straight off the boat? I supposed you'd have to get them SVA'd and all that stuff though & doesn't that cost quite a lot?

Does the £5k include the VAT & buyers premium etc?

Originally posted by Elliot

Put it this way - next time there's one down there, give me a shout!

Are they straight off the boat? I supposed you'd have to get them SVA'd and all that stuff though & doesn't that cost quite a lot?

Does the £5k include the VAT & buyers premium etc?

They are straight off the boat, they do need SVAing but they have their own test centre at the auction house, it costs about £175 plus any work needed to pass the test.

The VAT is already paid but there is a £125 +VAT buyers premium

try http://www.japaneseimportauctions.com they run the one in bristol as well as one in Tilbury docks (London) and they have a stock list for the upcoming auctions

Originally posted by Elliot

Nice one. Has anybody got the website of the one in Southampton (if they have a website!)

ive been down there once and there was only 1 supra and majority were 4x4's. my father in law is always down there and apparently one week they will have lots of cars, next week 4x4's so pot luck really.

http://www.a1carauctions.co.uk

Steer well clear IMO. There is something very dodgy about those cars if they are selling for the prices you've mentioned WITH VAT and import duty already paid, as I know I'd struggle to buy decent grade / mileage cars in Japan for those prices.

You will find that those cars don't have any last oil change stickers on the door posts and have nothing indicating their grading in Japan and as a result nothing to prove their indicated odometer readings or that they are not crash repaired.

That's all I'll say on the matter.