The mkiv Supra Owners Club

96 SZ-R NA Auto

jonathanc

Hi all,

Hopefully someone could give me some advice on this model. I always wanted a Supra and I thought its good to start from somewhere modest and in my budget ;)

So I found a 96 SZ-R NA Auto. Now, I haven't really drove auto cars before except for a Prelude so I am wondering how does this particular model fare?

Are there any known problems with this type of Supra? Not looking for anything fast just want a decent Supra thats comfortable and nice to drive at the moment.

Thanks.

edit: hmm, not sure if this is the right section to post this since I am a newbie here. Admin please move it to the appropriate section if so. Thanks!

Hello. :)

Are there any known problems with this type of Supra?

There aren't any major problems at all. :)

Supra Guide and Model Differences Chart:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=59334

What to check when buying a Supra:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=67644

The facelift Supra was introduced in May 96, newer lights front and rear amongst other mostly cosmetic changes.

Any pics of the car you're interested in? :)

Thanks for the friendly reply! :D

Well, the reason I chose Auto and NA is mainly because of budget. Also, I used to own a Turbo MR2 so I guess its time to switch to something tamer.

Supras are always my fav Jap car of all time so I hope I could start my Supra journey with something basic first so I can learn my way up. Toyotas are famous for being reliable so thats always a plus!

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1188505.htm

This is the Supra I am looking at. I like the colour (although imo whites the best :p) and it looks like a clean example to me. Thats within my target budget as well.

Any opinions/advice very much welcomed!

Oh, I also would very much prefer to buy a Supra from a club member rather than from trade since I know she'll probably be well taken care off ;)

Edited by jonathanc (see edit history)

My NA manual is up for sale soon 97 on a R, look at pics in my garage. It is currently a single turbo but it is having a 65K mile NA engine put in it which can be verified by a club member.....I have owned it for the last seven years.

Hi! Nice offer mate :D But I don't know how to access your garage

I am such a newbie
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_oops.gif

See you found your way from IMOC then :)

mvm imports, very over priced and personally I wouldn't go near them but just my opinion.

haha indeed I did :p

Hi Todd ;)

I nearly bought a 300zx from them but chose the MR2 instead.

Well aiming for NA this time mate, taking it slow ;)

Well before joining this club I used Pistonhead to search so MVM came up with most results nearby within my price range. Never dealt with them before so no idea. I was told I could also get discount on Sky Insurance if I became a member here so here I am :p

Besides, it feels better to buy from a trusted club member than some random company/people.

Edited by jonathanc (see edit history)