The mkiv Supra Owners Club

love my dad :)

Guest dabadom

Hello everyone.

thanks to my dad getting a new job and being able to have a company car ( bmw m5) he has given me his toyota supra.

but the only problem is that i am only 19 and cant get insured on it yet so what i am going to be doing is waiting until i can get a good price on insrence and slowly doing it up making it look and sound nice, it is a 1999 3.0 non turbo not sure on how much hourse power it has? it is red and needs alot of work but only has 56k miles on it.

i was alos wondering as it is completely stock what would be the best first mod to do to it costing under 300 pounds thanks?

Matt

Hi and welcome.

Do yourself a favour and no matter what you do with the car, just don't 'Chav' it up.

Take a peek through the gallery and search for a nice look that you think you like. (I only like the stock look with OEM body kit personally)

Other than that, a good set of tyres and a service are a must!!

nice one, nice dad come to think of it, as others have mentioned a good service, or just something to maintain the car. getting it running sweet should be the first thing on your mind. i got mine on ym 21st birthday, as a present to myself, i dont regret it. however if you want to do something to the outside. you could get a pair of glass UK spec headlights if your jap spec ones are severely yellowed in and out. since you can afford that at the moment, having no petrol/insurance/tax costs, that could be a good thing to get, (thats what i did) mind u, i had 300 quid spare on top of getting all the nessesary's lol :innocent:

Welcome to the club.

First thing I would do to any newly acquired car of this age would be to get it thoroughly checked over, replacing any worn parts needed, given a full service, get the suspension geometry checked/adjusted and wheels balanced. Call me boring, but I wouldn't spend any money on modifications until I was completely happy that the car was in A1 mechanical order.

First actual modification I would do would be to upgrade to the larger spec brakes front and rear (around £500 per axle).

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Welcome aboard.

As outlined above, your best bet is a good check over and full service. No point improving the car with intricate modifications if something goes fundamentally wrong.

Plugs and points, oils, fluids, brake checks, tyres, etc. Once that is all sorted, you'll have a Supra that runs well and is in excellent nick, plus you'll gain the confidence to begin adding your own style to it, knowing that you've not blown all your money on the modifications.

Hiya!

Congrats on the car!

However I'm now going to offer some advice that I guarantee you won't like almost definitely won't take :D :

If you can't afford to get the car onto the road..............sell it.

Put the money towards a car that you can afford to run (assuming you don't have another car anyway?) and use that to build up some insurance NCD and a good driving record.

In the meantime save the rest of your money and then, in a couple of years time, if you still want a Supra, you can go out and buy one. The prices will have come down, the insurance will be cheaper, and you'll be a better driver for it.

I can almost guarantee that this will be the quickest way to get you affordably (and legally!) running a Supra on the road if that's your goal!

Sorry if that's not what you want to hear - I still remember how painful it was to sell mine - just wanted to offer some pragmatic advice that would give you another option to think about.

I certainly wish you the best with it, whatever you decide to do!

congrats, and welcome...

defo give it a good service before any mods...

keep stock air box, do not go for useless mushroom style filter..

a nice sounding exhaust/decat would be my first buy, then rims/tyres when u get a bit more £££ .. in my opinion make the most impact on looks and satisfaction.. its all a matter of taste

The main thing is that you like it, and enjoy it... but beware people will tell you what they think of it, and sometimes it's not flattering...

have fun, play safe!!

And I thought I was young getting my TT Supe at 21! Nice work! :)

As said, making sure everything is running spot on would be the best thing! The car NEEDS nothing as far as mods go, it's just preference really. Lovely machines!

Shop around alot for your insurance too, I'm £950 fully comp on a Twin Turbo Supra at 21, so don't jump in straight away nor find it overly daunting either :)