The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine bay Advice

ClaireRZ-S

Right folks here is my engine bay. Its very dirty i know but i want to completely re do it. I've already bought some chrome bits for her shroud, relay and fuse box etc. Thanks ray :). I was thinking of getting the inlet manifold and turbo pipes polished etc. Anyone got any other suggestions colour wise and what might look nice. The car is white. thanks

have the cam covers Chrome powdercoated and get a Carbon gallery cover from titan in the states? also the pas res wants doing, alloy oil filler cap either polished or colured,

then re paint all the small brackets etc and Vac lines etc there are loads of different colour silicone hose on the market.

Clean and armour-all the plastic covers that are left, and then de grease all the paint work then polish it,

Rather than get the pipe polished have them powder coated? much easier to look after and just as good looking.

Best bet is decide on a colour scheme first. mabe something different to the normal samco blue or Red?

As mentioned, give it a decent clean. Lots of old rags a toothbrush and some degreaser. remove as many bits as you can to get access to the awkward spots, it really does make a big difference. Any plastics treat with tyre shine.

Then maybe powdercoat a few bits in white and work a white and polished theme with some engine bay covers.

As others have said Claire, give it a real good wash and degrease and it will look a million times better, and be nicer to work in should you need to. Autoglym do an engine and machine cleaner or any kind of decent All Purpose Cleaner, plenty of tooth brushes. Wrap any electrics in clingfilm and you will also be fine to gently rinse it with a hose or pressure washer. It may need a couple of goes and you may also need some new knuckles after :)

Once it is clean get yourself some Aerospace 303 to properly protect and give a very good shine to all the rubbers and plastics. It will last much longer and not leave a greasy residue.

I just got back from a holiday with a load of mates, one of them works in a family owned performance car garage in Skegness. I told him I was going to jetwash my bay and he told me never to attempt it.

Said if it works and your car still runs fine then you are lucky. He said even pro velet companies hate going near an engine bay, even with steam let alone high pressure water. Even if they are really careful they sometimes end up having to bring the cars in to get stripped down and rebuilt from a simple jet wash.

Not worth the risk.

2 x toothbrush from tesco = 20p

Autoglym engine cleaner = £15

bottle of water for rinsing and old rags.

Total = Much cheaper than an engine rebuild.