The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo selection for my project car

hodge

I've been pondering a while over this and don't seem to be any further forward.

Here's the story. I want odviously big turbo for the wow factor when the bonnet is lifted but and here's the but, I don't want to have to wait til 6k to hit full boost. I do want and like the feel of lag and then oh my god my face is coming off power.

A t67 is way too small that is without a dowt. I've been looking at the boost logic kits and spoke to javansio (jay) extensivly on the subject and he suggested something like a t74 dbb unit. Any opinions and thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John

Dont no too much on this but have read the new billet turbos are coming on boost nice n early and pulling like a train on steroids the whole way!!!

Dare I ask if anyone's done a proper comparision between these newfangled billet turbos and the current crop of DBBs?

-Ian

Dare I ask if anyone's done a proper comparision between these newfangled billet turbos and the current crop of DBBs?

-Ian

Soon, mine should be here in a few days and will be the only change on the car for the time being so can show before and after dyno sheets, im seeing some impressive results on supraforum but am reserving judgment till i see and feel it myself.

Soon, mine should be here in a few days and will be the only change on the car for the time being so can show before and after dyno sheets, im seeing some impressive results on supraforum but am reserving judgment till i see and feel it myself.

Is it the same size wheel/housing/etc, just the material/construction being changed?

Can you get datalogs of before and after? :sly: Maybe dyno each gear, not just 5th? Can you record stuff like boost pressure, revs, road speed from your ECU...? Go on go on say you can :D

Is it the same size wheel/housing/etc, just the material/construction being changed?

Can you get datalogs of before and after? :sly: Maybe dyno each gear, not just 5th? Can you record stuff like boost pressure, revs, road speed from your ECU...? Go on go on say you can :D

Ahh good point, ive gone with a larger .ar, at present im on a .68 and ive gone upto a .81

I know a man that can but tbh im not going to go to the cost or agro of doing it, i dont have the time or appeal to do so, as long as it makes more power at the same boost and the spool is there or there about then i will be happy.

If not then i will try something different.

Ahh good point, ive gone with a larger .ar, at present im on a .68 and ive gone upto a .81

I know a man that can but tbh im not going to go to the cost or agro of doing it, i dont have the time or appeal to do so, as long as it makes more power at the same boost and the spool is there or there about then i will be happy.

If not then i will try something different.

:cry:

Fair enough though. So the answer remains "no", no proper comparison :(

How much bhp do you want?

I recon around the 700bhp mark is good for me:eyebrows:

Im in exactly the same position, apart from my reasons for wanting a large turbo are not for 'wow factor'

I take it your after some blistering performance then Rob. Sounds a good enough reason to me. But im greedy and I want BOTH;)

Maybe when there both done we could meet on the drag strip 1 day:eyebrows:

I do want to show the car also and a big turbo does pull the crowds in. And yeah i know im gona get the speech you dont want to go single for all the right reasons from some members but this is gona be everything I ever wanted from a supra when its done and I wont stop til I get it just how I want it so for me to buy a smaller turbo and sacrifice the the look of the engine bay I wouldnt be happy with it. Im trying to build my dream Supra so nothing less that exactly what i want it to look AND go like will do really.

I dont really know if I explained that very well but I hope you all know what I mean.

I do want to show the car also and a big turbo does pull the crowds in. And yeah i know im gona get the speech you dont want to go single for all the right reasons from some members but this is gona be everything I ever wanted from a supra when its done and I wont stop til I get it just how I want it so for me to buy a smaller turbo and sacrifice the the look of the engine bay I wouldnt be happy with it. Im trying to build my dream Supra so nothing less that exactly what i want it to look AND go like will do really.

I dont really know if I explained that very well but I hope you all know what I mean.

I hear what you are saying but if you go for some huge turbo that capable of serious power and only run it at around 700bhp it will not be a nice car to drive imo, laggy with a tiny powerband and slow compared to a 700bhp with a much larger powerband.

Anything from a 61 to 74 look very similar in size to me, sounds like you want to go T6?

I hear what you are saying but if you go for some huge turbo that capable of serious power and only run it at around 700bhp it will not be a nice car to drive imo, laggy with a tiny powerband and slow compared to a 700bhp with a much larger powerband.

Anything from a 61 to 74 look very similar in size to me, sounds like you want to go T6?

LMAO Well funny you should say that as that was the 1st thing I mensioned to Jay when I asked his advice. Jay did abit of research for me on SF and found the T6 boost logic race turbos were hitting somewhere in the region of 1300 bhp but wasnt at full boost til 6 grand.

I do like lag and then the ohhhh fooookkkk factor but I suppose theres getting a happy medium between the 2 and I recon the T6 will be abit of overkill lol even though it will look totally amazing.

Jay is going to speak th Michel to see if he minds me having a look at his monster as he is running a T74 at the min.

I take it your after some blistering performance then Rob. Sounds a good enough reason to me. But im greedy and I want BOTH;)

Maybe when there both done we could meet on the drag strip 1 day:eyebrows:

Blistering performance, nice shove in the back, the feeling its verging on being out of control.

Id like that :)

You have PM too.

Blistering performance, nice shove in the back, the feeling its verging on being out of control.

Id like that :)

You have PM too.

On the verge of being out of control sound like the perfect description of what im looking for hell yeah now for this I thank you cos now I know what I want.

Cheers Rob:thumbs:

Of course they will. Ill be using a 6 speed with an apropriate clutch and apart from 264 cams im leaving the engine alone. Ive got the same take on this a jamie really. Built engines are unreliable and seeing you can get a brand new short block from Mr.T for around 1700 quid, if it blows Ill call the A team and buy a new 1. It will be much cheaper in the long run.