The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How do i fit a aftermarket headunit

danny1987

Lovely looking supra BTW. :) I've just had a nose in your garage.

You need to take the dashboard trim off. It's fairly easy: gearstick surround first, then the long thin "eyebrow" bit that runs over the top of the speedo cluster, then the large panel that surrounds the heater buttons. Taking those off will give you access to the metal cage that the headunit will be screwed into. Take the cage out, fit the headunit, and replace cage and dash panels. There's a guide on here somewhere about how to remove the dash panels: it helps to know where the screws and clips are.

Depending on what you've got fitted already, you may need a harness (£15 ish from Halfords)

Thank you very much I’ve only had it 2 weeks and washed and polished it about 4 times already.

Wow that sounds lot of work, what about a face plate? Is there one?

You have a couple of options for the blank. You can get a plain one, a "Supra" logo one or you can get the cubby hole version.

I would suggest getting yourself a double din to be honest. If you haven't already bought it that is.

Its a fair bit of work to type out but when doing it, as long as you are careful, it comes together in no time. About an hour tops should see you finished. After a few goes at it you would have it down to 15 mins :)

Here's how to take the dashboard apart.

http://www.internetwork.org.uk/kit_inst/dashrem.htm

The wiring harness adaptor is: PC2-17-4 , cheaper on Ebay than Halfords.

I think most of us replace the double din unit with a single din radio and also buy and fit a single din cubby hole to fit above or below the radio.

Halfords sell the plastic cubby hole..... http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=27281&postcount=4

and the wiring harness adapter but they're much more expensive than Ebay.

Edited by merckx (see edit history)

or buy stereo and have it fitted there, most places do free fitting.. if not take your stereo (local halfords, mcganns etc...) they will charge about £20 to fit for you and can supply any additional clips, mountings (xtra charge)... saves alot of hassle, pratting about with wires, cages etc for hours.. depends on your skills, i've done most bits on my car including dash conversion but leave the stereo to someone who knows what they are doing..

I’ve already got a single din flip screen. I can’t find the bits I need on eBay, everything is saying up to 1993 and not after, do you think you could post a link to the parts I require please.

I also popped in to Halfords this afternoon and they wanted £50 for everything which I thought was a bit steep!!!!

Hmm, search this forum for "autoleads". Also see post #9 here: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=184630&highlight=autoleads

Some other people seem to have trouble with the PC2-17-4. Have you disconnected the wiring from the stock amp (see last link in that #9 post).

Although you can pay someone else (e.g. Halfords) to do it, if you're interested in how the car works I'd suggest having a crack yourself.With jobs like this, it doesn't matter how long it takes (although it should no more than an hour or two first time). Engine jobs are trickier because you often have to get everything back together and working again before the car can be moved.

Single DIN should be fine. I've got a single DIN and a cubby hole mounted below it.

Make sure you don't turn the ignition on with the top section of the dash removed. PITA to turn off the airbag warning light if you do.

Tru dat.

It's so tempting to fire things up as soon as the stereo is plugged in but make sure you get that section of dash plugged in before you do.