The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Falken 452 for 16" wheels

stevie_b

It's time for me to get new tyres on the rear of my supra (it takes 245/45/16, i.e. stock 16" wheels). I've gone for Falken 452s in the past but it seems they don't make them in that size anymore.

I don't drive aggresively so a top-end sticky tyre would be a waste of money IMO, but neither do I want to fit cheap ditch-finders. I was thinking of putting on Toyos (not sure of the model, but they're £120 each). They're significantly more expensive than the Falkens, but that's life.

I'm not helped by the fact that 245/45/16 is apparently an unusual size that not many tyre manufacturers support. 245/50/16 that the sticker on the supra suggests are even rarer!

I know the Falkens have/had a good following on here: has anyone else found a good 16" tyre for reasonable money?

Toyo's only £85 on Camskill. I would get them matey. I've had before and are quite good. Better than the falkens :)

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s345p0

Good find sir. I guess that doesn't include fitting though. I'm not sure how much places charge to fit tyres supplied from elsewhere...

Mike: I couldn't find P6000's in 245/45/16. I guess you're on bigger rims are you?

Thinking about Nexen 3000 tyres. They seem to be aimed at the "budget performance" market, and seem to to be comparable to the Falkens. I've searched on here and elsewhere: some people reckon they're worth a try, others say stick with what you know (but if I stuck with what I know, I would never have tried the Falkens originally). Any thoughts?

Fitting at a local independant tyre centre should cost you around £10/£12.50 p/corner.

Rare sizes such as yours are very costly to manufacturers hence the price. Its the same for the likes of people with Ford's Cougar model which is another that springs to mind.

We have our own tyre centre (always filled with Porsches and we get Bentley's/Lambos, American muscle the lot in, in addition to the daily trade/private customers).

Fwiw - there are MANY poor quality budget tyres, like Nankangs/Nexxens etc for example being sold at generally high prices when for justa few pounds more you can buy a far superior tyre.

Fwiw, try to go for Goodyear as they are superb consistent performers, good wear rates but don't cost less in comparison to the Continental/Michelins.