The mkiv Supra Owners Club

600 BHP - Which is quicker, Single or Twin?

suprastu

Here's a question for you all, in real world driving which would be the more potent machine, a 600BHP Supra with Twin Tubbies or a 600BHP Single?

I've seen a few on the tinterweb that are running twins (HKS I believe) that are producing 600BHP and I know quite a few of you are running the same on a Single.

What I'm wondering is that Toyota developed the Twin Turbo system for a reason, so is it for a quicker spool up? If you replace both Twins for larger twins, surely you will have more lag which would defeat the whole purpose.:rolleyes:

Oh, maybe I should just go Single and be done with it!!:eyebrows:

Stu

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the real world, you're not really going to get 6oobhp from twins.

Why do you want 600bhp?

Well I want as much as possible really, but 600BHP seemed to be a figure that was used as a benchmark for phenomenal performance but retaining some degree of reliability.

Stu

Stu isnt talking about stock twins here, just whether aftermaket big twins are favoured over a single etc

the thing is that the aftermarket twins come in parallel mode anyway, not sequential like stock so I personally can't see the advantage over a single :)

i think you can get that or more from big twins

Fair enough, however most people on here have not gone down that route.

They seem to go for the single set up.

If I wanted another 150-200bhp etc, I'd be thinking going single, and not hybrid twins :)

Twins will be quicker off the line for sure!!!

Why?

In the real world, you're not really going to get 6oobhp from twins.

Yes you will, from aftermarket big twins

Stock twins + 600bhp = FAIL

Yep :p

Hybrids are not as strong as stock and will only produce circa 450bhp

Hybrids are stronger than stock, but wont go much above 450

If I wanted another 150-200bhp etc, I'd be thinking going single, and not hybrid twins :)

No, you wouldnt be going hybrid twins

Big HKS twins or comparable single wont be any different. both feel approximately the same (like for like).

They just look different, and the twin kits generally cost a lot more and are far harder to install.

What I'm wondering is that Toyota developed the Twin Turbo system for a reason, so is it for a quicker spool up? If you replace both Twins for larger twins, surely you will have more lag which would defeat the whole purpose.:rolleyes:

Do not forget the MKIV twin turbo system is sequential where as the big twin kits like HKS are parallel.

This makes a huge difference to spool as with sequential more exhaust energy is directed at one tubby to get it up to speed nice and quickly, in parallel you are attempting to spin them both up at the same time.

Id say a single would be better off the line... its hard to get traction when you have a little tubby blowing its little heart out at low revs...

This is true.

Also, I've heard of nothing but problems with hybrid turbos. If I was building a Supra for 400bhp there's no way I'd up-rate stock turbos. It's that, then single for me. The extra (possible) 50-or-so BHP just aren't worth the hassle.

This is true.

Also, I've heard of nothing but problems with hybrid turbos. If I was building a Supra for 400bhp there's no way I'd up-rate stock turbos. It's that, then single for me. The extra (possible) 50-or-so BHP just aren't worth the hassle.

TBH, after hearing about recent goings on at AFR, they have a budget single kit in the works which will initially be set up to run with the stock fuelling system. It should see you BPU levels easy, and seems a much more appealing venture than hybrids. The real beauty of this setup is you can upgrade components as you wish, so you later get and ECU, then injectors, etc etc . which will ultimately end up being a big BHP single supra. It seems a much more sound route to take than the hybrids.

Don't know why there's so much talk of stock and hybrid twins in this thread, nothing to do with what the OP is on about.

IMO single is the only sensible choice for big power, much simpler set up, and hey lighter too :D

The HKS Twin kits are based on quite old Turbo's now, and there are better, faster spooling turbo's out there (those new billet ones for example).

That's not to say you couldn't fit a smaller pair of these new billet turbo's, but AFAIK there's no off the shelf kit for big twins other than the HKS, so there's quite possibly be some bespoke fabrication needed. Not worth it IMO.

A new 61 with a billet wheel will spool very quick and should still make 600 a 67 billet will make far in excess of that and still spool quicker than HKS twins, A T6 Garett 55-91 on the other hand prob wont make boost till 5500 rpm but when it does the other 2 will dissapear backwards. diff strokes for diff folks but I would never go the big twin route. Just look at the drag boys in the US and you will answer your own question.

Thanks everyone, I wasn't aware that the HKS Kit is running in parallel, I just presumed that the system remained relatively unchanged and certain parameters were uprated (bigger turbos, better fuelling etc). I now understand that after BPU, if you want more power, then going the Single turbo route is the most cost effective way to go.

Are Singles as reliable as a BPU car?:blink:

Stu