The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Someone crashed into my Sup- not amused.

Dave_SZ-R

So Im up visiting a mate in Inverness, and left the Supra parked outside his house (very quiet little street). We were literally 5 minutes from leaving to go back to Edinburgh, when I heard a loud bang outside, followed by a hysterical kid screaming 'MUMMY!'.

Turns out the neighbour across the street has left her Saab 9-5 running when shes come back from Tesco and started unloading her shopping. Unfortunately, shes also left her 2 year old daughter in the car whos pulled the handbrake off, and with it being an automatic, its shot forward and smacked into my car.

Not f*cking amused.

Anyway, she was very apologetic, and gave all her insurance details immediately. My question is this though, should I claim on my insurance for a small (few inches long) crack in my rear bumper and some scuffed paint around the rear arch? The other issue is that I havent declared the Blitz rear bumper as a mod to my insurance yet. Obviously the other party was at fault here, but Im worried Ill invalidate my insurance by having an undeclared mod.

So pissed about this, everyone always comments how immaculate the paint is :mad: .

Bummer mate, you wouldn't be claiming your insurance though. It would be her insurance you would be claiming.

I wouldn't worry about any assessors from your insurance just yet. If she takes full responsibility it will be her insurers coming out to see the car etc.

OH shit, sorry to hear that mate, you have practically only just got the car looking spot on aswell.

I would imagine if you tried to claim on yuor insurance, they would do all they can to get out of paying like insurance companies do. They then might spot the after market bumper and wriggle out of it by saying its now invalid. This is just my opinion tho bud

With a previous Celica once I had the offenders insurance details etc, I got some quotes, 1 from Toyota and 3 from reputable bodyshops and gave the offender the choice to go with one of the quotes or through the insurance. Due to the damage and cost it ended up being an insurance job but you could get a few quotes and see if she's open to doing it withouth getting the insurers involved.

Mate i know how you feel i felt so stressed when my car got hit after being finished

I know, literally just finished the bodywork, and had the rear bumper blended in too, which Ive never done with any bodywork before.

I park my car in Gorgie in Edinburgh (busy street) most nights, yet I park it in a tiny village in the Highlands for 2 days, and it gets hit?! Life aint fair sometimes.

Ill update this when I get everything sorted.

Sorry for mate,

Three weeks ago I had my Integra Type R hit by a bus from behind so I'm going through the same scenario at the moment.

Car was mint, had spent £2.5k the last 9 months since I got it making it absolutly perfect - new bushes, engine mounts, shocks, etc, it was getting close to perfect:eyebrows:

Anyway, your insurance will not get involved at all unless you claim on it, I just rang mine to let them know and keep everything straight.

The thing to do is claim on her insurance, If the accident is not your fault (which it isn't) you will not have to pay a penny or lose any no claims.

What happens then is that you get an accessor come out and value the damage - i've had two out because I've employed an accident management company for personal injury reasons etc.

The accessors only look at the damage and are not generally interested in whats modified on the car, I had a DC Sports manifold on mine and he didn't even notice. He will then submit his findings to her insurance company and they will then arrange pickup of your car and give you a courtesy car while yours is fixed.

Who on earth drives an auto and does not put it in "park" before they get out of it? :(

...or who leaves their car running whilst unloading their shopping? For an opportunistic thief, nicking a car like that would literally take no time. Easy pickings. Then we'd all hear on the news about how some crazed tea-leaf stole some poor defenceless woman's car with her young daughter still inside. Geez, some people really don't help themselves.